Friday, April 20, 2012

Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

I do believe City of Glass is my favorite out of these books. It still has the same amazing writing as the previous ones, and the same amazing story. Only better. And the same lovable characters; which was good. But I do not enjoy reading the first 185 pages. Although the first 110 pages is alright; I think. Still. The book is so much better after those pages :D It is all so exciting and horrible and good.

City of Glass starts right where City of Ashes ended. A few days later. And I'm glad about that. Although also sad; because City of Ashes ended sad and I wished it had been happier. The story in this book takes place in Idris; the home of the Shadowhunters. And I loved that! Idris is an awesome place. It sounds so beautiful. And also a bit peaceful.

They are all there, in Idris. Jace, Clary, Simon, Alec, Isabelle and Magnus. My favorite characters :D Well, maybe not Simon so much, but still ;) I liked him a lot more in this book. Somehow. He's improved a lot since the first two books. And Isabelle is just awesome. A really great character :) And I adore Alec. Liked the scene between him and Jace near the beginning; when Jace confronts him.

And Magnus I cannot help but love. He is just way too adorable. He is kind and sweet and loving but also sort of evil and scary. Considering he is an Warlock and all ;p But I loved the relationship between Alec and Magnus. It is love. And it is so sweet and good and I adored it. Hope they will always be together :)

I'm not sure if I liked Clary more in this book. I hated her in the beginning. Some may have hated Jace because of what he said to her; but he had his reasons. And I, for one, think he was right about much of it. I'm just really pissed at Clary for never seeming to care about Jace at all. First it was with the "dating" of Simon in book two. And in this book she is kissing with Sebastian. Hated it.

And Sebastian. He seemed like such a sweet boy. But he isn't. He is evil and cruel and I hated hated hated him. But oh, he made the book so so interesting. Well, except the kissing part. Wished to rip those pages out, to be honest. Just couldn't stand that Clary did that. Oh, well. That is just my issue with it :) But besides that, I really did like Clary.

She is a lot different in this book. Still a bit selfish most of the time, but she has grown up some. And I liked that. Then there was her mother. And I really did not like her. She's been lying to her daughter for her whole life. And I did not approve. I, for one, would not have forgiven her for it. Plus, I don't like how she is in the next book ;p

And then there is Jace. And, sigh. Jace is still my favorite character in this book series. As he will always be. He is the sweetest and cutest and the most perfect boy. I adore him so much. <3 He may seem mean to many, but he isn't. Not really. He is just hurting and broken and I am hating it. I hate that he is in so much pain. It just isn't fair. Jace deserves to be happy.

There were some things I wasn't that happy about in this book. Like Jace and Clary losing their stele's. It just seems so sad. I would have been sad. Reminds me of Harry Potter losing his wand. And I did not like that. I did however like the runes Clary made. Also liked the mark of Cain. Really excited to find out more about that :) Think it will be awesome.

There is many new characters in this book; many bad ones. But also some great ones :) Loved reading about them all. City of Glass has tons of action, and suspense, and horror and some amazing romance. This book really has it all. Tons of heartbreak. But also so much joy. And I loved it so much.

There is a lot of deaths in City of Glass. Many horrible deaths, but I didn't care about so many of them. But there was this one death that I hated. And it broke me. It is just so cruel and heartbreaking and sniffs. So sad. But it does make the story so good. But still! Wished it hadn't happened. But I also understand why it had to happen. Hope it focus more on it in book five.

Valentine is still the bad guy in this book. And oh! He is so evil. But, I can also somehow understand him. But I do not agree with the killings and torturing. It is just cruel. Especially that part with Ithuriel. It was just so so brutal. And I hated it. But I also loved it. If that makes any sense at all. Then there is the ending of this book. So much was happening it was hard to keep up. But the ending is both horrible and amazing. It is a great ending. But also a great beginning, in a way.

I don't know what else to say about this book. It is just so good. If you have read the first two books in The Mortal Instruments; then you really need to read City of Glass. Because it is the perfect finale. Although there are three more books.. ;) And I am so happy about that. But this could have been the last book :) It is most definitely worth reading.

Favorite quote.

"There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. 
"I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there's a life after that, I'll love you then."

8 comments:

  1. I love City of Glass too! Agree with you regarding Clary being a little selfish. And Magnus! Dear me. He can be so funny at times. But I'm glad about him and Alec. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. City of Glass is my favourite out of all of them as well! I have to agree with you on Clary, especially at the beginning of it all. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote at the end of your review is one my favourites from the whole series - and you reviewing all the books is getting me very excited for City of Lost Souls. Though I am pretty nervous about that one... I'm a huge Jace fan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too. <3 Yay! :D I cannot wait for City of Lost Souls. <3 Especially after re-reading them all :) So excited for it :D I'm not nervous though; because I don't think there will be anything wrong with Jace (A) Hih :)

      Delete
  4. Awww Carina!! Love your review!! And I love this book the most too :) <3 <3 City of Glass is just <3 <3 Loveeee <3 lol. I become all dreamy just thinking about it :P And I agree.. the thing when they lost their steel was weird. I mean what the heck?! Ah :P And I loved Magnus in this book a lot too! :) And a agree about Clary "dating" Simon being WTF?! What was that all about?! I will always love Jace <3

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)