Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review: Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama

I want to start by saying that I think I preferred the first cover. But I am unsure. This cover is still beautiful though. :) I have had this book on NetGalley since February. Had been thinking of reading it before, but never did since I peeked at the ending. But then today I decided to give it a chance. Since I really wanted to read it and see if I would like it or not. And I did. I loved it a whole lot.

I would say that Monstrous Beauty is three people's story. Hester, Ezra and Syrenka. It is mostly told from their POV. Well, a little bit more from Hester. And a little from other characters as well. But this is their story. And I loved that. I wished this book had been longer. It should have been. And it should have ended a bit better. But, the ending also made sense so I'm not hating it too much. :)

It starts really well. It is first from Syrenka, and it seems like such a sweet love story. But it isn't. The first chapter is sweet and cute and so so horrible and evil. It is brutal. But it is also the perfect beginning to this book. This book has so much death in it. And it is horrible. But it is done so well and I loved it all. Cause it makes sense, and it made the story more perfect.

The writing in this book is stunning. And the characters are amazing. And the story is breathtaking. Well, in an awful way. lol. Cause this is also sort of a horror story. Sure, there is some romance. But it isn't much. Most of this book is about the history of a curse. Won't tell you more. It is a sort of short book, and I want you to read it all for yourself. Because it is worth it. I believe. So far ;)

The plot in this book is very unique. Well, okay, the whole mermaid thing probably isn't that unique. But the take on it is. At least, I think so. It is so beautifully written and done. It is perfect. It is scary and horrible at times, but it is also so perfect all the time. The mermaids are scary. But they are beautiful. But they do so much horrible stuff. They kill lots of people. They are creepy.

But because it is written so well I couldn't hate them much. I did however hate some of the people. Especially the mermaid Syrenka. I could have understood her, but I found her to be horrible and I didn't like her. I didn't like what she did to everyone. What she did to sweet Ezra. She is a perfect character for this book though. And I loved that she was a part of it.

And Ezra. Ezra is perfect. Well, mostly. He was perfect before he met Syrenka. And even then he is so good. He is kind and sweet and so handsome. Sigh. If only he was mine. He is human though, just so you know. :) And he is the best human. Sigh. I adored him. I loved how he was with Syrenka in the start, well, you know, 140 years ago. He was so sweet. But he deserved better.

And then he did something really horrible. But I understood it so well. I would probably have acted like he did too. But he payed for what happened. When it wasn't even his fault. He didn't start it all. And it is so horrible what happened to Ezra. And. Cries. I won't spoil it, though :D Just know that I love him and I felt for him so much. <3

Then there is Hester. Hester is an amazing person. Was worried about her at first, since I had read that many people didn't like her. But I did love her. She is a sort of weird girl. But I totally got her. She is kind and sweet. She was crushing on her best friend. But then that wasn't happening anymore. I was a bit confused about it. But I was also happy about it. Her friend, Peter, seemed kind enough.

Wasn't sure if he had a crush on Hester. It was unclear. But it seemed that way. Still, I don't want them together. :) Hester and Ezra is the love interests in this book. And they are perfect together. And it broke my heart. It still is. But it is so sweet and I loved it so much. I wish it had focused on the romance/love a bit more, because I felt like there was too little. But I loved what there were.

There is so many other characters in this book. But I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't talk about them. :) Just know that the story in this book is incredible and it is so so so interesting to learn everything in Monstrous Beauty. Lots of mysteries and surprises. Also. Noo'ka is a HORRIBLE character! I hated her. But oh. She was so interesting. But she creeped me out. *Shudders.*

Monstrous Beauty is a stunning book. The writing is perfect. The characters and amazing. The story is the best. So unique and exciting and just perfect. You must read this book once it comes out. I can promise you that you won't regret it. Even though I was a bit disappointed with the ending. I want a second book. :)

Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group for the chance to read this book early. <3 I am so glad I read it.

9 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to try a mermaid story for a long time and I might start with this one, because I kind of have a thing for darker stories. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this one and it seriously wasn't what I was expecting. It was dark and tragic but so captivating.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carina, your review is very convincing! I didn't think I would start this for some time now but you've completely changed my mind. I love that this is a unique take on mermaids and I already like the sound of the characters. Ezra and Hester sound great. I can't wait to meet them! :)

    Amazing review hun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to mention - I think I preferred the first cover too, though this one is still nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this a nice cover though
    i so need this book
    tnx 4 the review carina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :D Thank you. <3 Hope you'll love it ;)

      Delete
  6. Even though mermaid novels aren't something I would normally enjoy, I've been hearing brilliant things about Monstrous Beauty, hence I requested on Netgalley and am super excited to read it! Thank you for the review! I hope I'll love it as much as you did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you Carina, I definitely loved the old cover better, it was sooo gorgeous... this really lacks something for me. I love mermaids books, especially the evil, creepy kind so this is definitely being bumped up on my wishlist. Great review hun!

    p.s.. I watched episode 2 of True Blood last night... holy crap!! lol! I saw your Bill, he was quite good last night :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you. <3 yeah, the old cover was gorgeous. *Sigh.* <3 But ohhh, this book was so good :D I hope you will love it ;)
      Yay! :D Hih. I love Bill. <3 :)

      Delete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)