Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I feel about this book. On the one hand, the writing is stunning and the plot is amazing. And the characters are perfect. But I hated the romance. It shouldn't have been like that. And I'm just so confused and hurt by it. Will try my best to write this review, though. :) Gonna start with the title + cover. I love the cover. It is pretty and unique. But the title doesn't fit in this book o.O

Maybe it will fit in the sequel. Hopefully. :) It just doesn't make sense to me. Well, I like the title. But it doesn't really fit with the book :p I'm conflicted in my feelings about this book. At first I really loved Elisa. She is cute, and sweet and kind. And she's fat. I liked that about her a lot. She eats a lot. But then, I probably would have too, with amazing food. :) And, well, she is a princess. The youngest.

She is such a complex person. She can be so many things. At first she is shy and sweet, then she turns cold towards the end. She is strong and amazing, but I didn't like her near the end. Thought her a bit cruel. But I adored her in the beginning. If you have read the summary, you know what happens. She gets married to this king. Alejandro. And I loved Alejandro. He might have been a bit dumb.

But I adored him. Because he was caring and sweet and kind. Scared of things, but that only made me love him more. And it made me hate the author a bit, because Alejandro isn't really the love interest. And I HATED that. Cause he would be perfect. And he is. For the first 100 pages. Then everything changes. And I must admit, I sort of didn't like the changes. Wish they hadn't happened.

I loved the first 100+ pages. Because they are amazing. The story is perfect, and the characters are so good. And I adored Rosario. Even Hector. He better not be a love interest in book two. And I loved Elisa's nurse; Ximena. She is really interesting, and full of surprises. Didn't like that she kept secrets. But I still adored her. There are so many great characters in this book. Not mentioning them all. :)

But then things change. Elisa is kidnapped. And taken for a month long journey across the desert. And she looses a lot of weight. I sort of liked that, but then, not much. She grows stronger and tougher. But I hated that she wasn't with Alejandro and Rosario. I hated that. Because I wanted that in this book. I really wanted it. And I'm so sad I didn't get it. Sniffs.

I won't say much more about the plot. But Elisa meets a lot of other people. And it is all so horrible. But also fascinating. I didn't love it all though. See, I could have liked Humberto a lot. And I did. I did love him. But I wanted it to be Alejandro so I didn't love him that much. And, well, he isn't really a love interest, either. I mean, Elisa falls in love. And there is one kiss. But then something awful happens.

And Elisa does realize she must be married to Alejandro because of the war and such. And I loved her for that. That she didn't just say fuck it, and ran away with Humberto. Because then I would really hate it. Alejandro did not deserve that. :) Sigh. I'm just so conflicted. Cause I wanted some things to happen. And they didn't. And things I didn't want to happen, did happen.

The plot in this book is amazing. I liked that whole God-stone thing. Won't spoil it. Because it is complicated, and it is better if you read it for yourself. :) There is lots of war in this book. And I enjoyed that. Made things more interesting. But it was also a bit horrible. So much death. And speaking of death. There are two deaths I didn't understand. Especially the last one.

I hated it so extremely much, and I won't forgive it. Because I'm not sure how it can be a second book without it. But there is. And I'm disappointed that it happened; because it wasn't fair to so many people. Mainly me. Still. I just wished it hadn't happened. Anyway! I am so excited to read the sequel, still. :) But I am worried about that romance talk. Sigh. We'll see, I suppose.

I'm excited about the sequel because I want to know more about Elisa. About the God Stone, and her family. I need more of that. But mostly, I wish someone would rise up from the dead. But I know it won't happen; since three months passed. I just wish. I really wish it would.

I have decided to give this book a four star. The writing plus story is a five star. But because of the romance that I didn't like it is a four star for me. And because of the death at the end. Still. I loved this book. It is an amazing read. And you really should read it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)