Sunday, May 20, 2012

Review: This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

I am mad at myself for thinking that I wouldn't like this book. More though, I'm mad at the people who wrote reviews that made me think I wouldn't like this book. They all mislead me. Because this book is good. It is so good. When I first heard of it, I knew I would love it. Then I read reviews; and I was unsure. But I loved it. I really, really loved it. It is just so amazing. Everything about it is perfect.

What made me want this book was the gorgeous cover. Because it really is gorgeous. Then I read the summary, and I just needed it. It sounded so good. But then. It's so long until it is out. Still a month left. But I got to read it early :D And I'm so happy about that. And I cannot wait to get my pretty paperback edition of it. <3 needs at least two. Hih.

I'm not sure how to describe this book. Words seems to be failing me at the moment. Gonna try my best though. :) This Is Not a Test starts out really awesome. Well, it is heartbreaking. So sad. And horrible. But it is a perfect beginning. It is the day the zombies arrive. The last normal day. Well, it's only a few pages. But still. I loved it. Because it shows us how Sloane's life is. Then it all begins.

We don't get to see many zombies in this book. It didn't bother me, though. But we did get to see enough of them. Enough to understand how things are, and how horrible it all is. And it is written so well. The writing in this book is perfect. So happy about that. This book is about 6 teenagers stuck in their high school. It is the only place they are safe. But are they really safe there?

Well, not really. I liked the plot in this book. Liked it a whole lot. It is perfect. So good. Also liked that they were stuck in the high school. :) It may seem good and all, but it isn't. Not really. They are there for a few short weeks. They are safe. Well, mostly. But there is a lot of hate between each person that are there. And omg. I loved it all. Because it is awesome. Heartbreaking at times. Love.

Don't want to say too much about the plot. It is mostly in the high school. But so much awesome happen there. So much sadness. But it is all so good. Gonna talk a bit about the characters. :) First there is Sloane, the main character. She is amazing. Well, she is sort of horrible too. She just wants to die. But that's just it. I totally get why. And I would probably want to die too. It is personal.

And it is just so.. normal. In a way. Well, at least to me. Sloane is suicidal, but she is also kind and strong sometimes. She is sweet. I loved her. She is a perfect main character. And I'm so glad that this book was her story. :) Then there is Rhys. The love interest. At first there isn't much romance at all. But then it happens. And omg. The romance in this book is so sweet and good but also sad.

Mostly good though. I, at least, loved it a whole lot. It is perfect. And Rhys is perfect. We don't really see enough of him. But I love every scene he is in. Because he is amazing. He is broken. And it breaks my heart. But he is also so kind and sweet and loving. He is just perfect. And I loved him a whole lot.

Then there are the four other teenagers in this story. There is Grace. And I liked Grace. Didn't love her, but I liked her a whole lot. She seemed very kind. And I loved that Sloane sort of knew her from before. Liked that story. Grace has a brother; Trace. And Trace is a horrible person. I didn't like him at all. He is just cruel and mean. Although, he is sort of awesome. But he did disgust me sometimes.

So, yeah, I didn't like him much. Then near the end he does something so bad. But I am glad about the last thing he did. Sort of. ;) Then there is Harrison. And Harrison was a boring person. A 15 year old boy who couldn't stop crying. He was whining all the time. But, I also loved that he was in this book. There was also Cary. And I sort of hated him as well. But I enjoyed reading about him. Sometimes. :)

Most of this book is about Sloane thinking about her sister, Lily. And that really is heartbreaking. Lily is the sister who left her. And I hated her so much for it. Because how could Lily leave her with that? It was just so cruel. But she was Sloane's sister. Still. Didn't like her. Even though we didn't see her :p But I loved that she was such a big part of the plot.

I don't want to spoil this book. So I'm not going to. Just gonna say that this book is stunning. The writing is perfect. The characters are amazing. And the story is so good. I am so happy I read this book. Because This Is Not a Test is a perfect book. A book I must re-read many times. I wish it was longer, though. Because it ends with a cliffhanger. And I need more. Please be a sequel soon. :) <3

There is a lot of death in this book. Some action. Some really heartbreaking scenes. Some romantic scenes that I loved extremely much. There is a lot happening in this book. So many amazing things. So many sad things. Everything perfect. Then there is the ending. The ending is horrible. But I loved the ending. Many people don't, and I can understand that. But I loved loved loved it. A whole lot.

Anyway. I think you all should read this book when it comes out. It will be worth it. So good.

Goodreads - Pre-Order

Update: Newer and better review of the book can be found here.

13 comments:

  1. always go with your gut carina
    i love books a couple ppl disliked

    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. <3 Yeah, I'm gonna stop reading negative reviews ;) and just decide for myself.

      Delete
  2. I really want to read this book. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like books that evoke a lot of emotions, so I added it to my TBR :) Great review, new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much. <3 I think you'll love this book ;D It is just so good.

      Delete
  4. woah! this is a great review :) I'll make sure to check out the book now

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding this to my TBR list! I just made my account the other day, but your blog is most definitely one of the blogs that inspired me to do so because we generally seem to agree on our book ideas! I'm looking forward to your other upcoming reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, hih, thank you so much :D:D <3 Hope you'll love this book as well. :)

      Delete
  6. Wasn't this book just AMAZING? I didn't think I would love it as much as I did, but I was pretty blown away by it. I completely agree about Sloanne... her sadness was pretty heartbreaking but I also felt like I could understand why she had given up. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually not one for zombie novels, but this was a must read. Sloane is not your average, normal, happy go lucky main character, but is facing real life problems, which as a reader, makes it feel all the more real.
    It was rather interesting to read who was left in the group, and how all their feelings and view points differed from everyone else. This novel was a pure, survival of the fittest, and I loved reading how everyone got on everyone else's nerves. The Mr. Baxter situation was very interesting, as it gave readers insight on who was willing to help out, and who was willing to go with their gut instinct.
    The main character Sloane, is a very complicated person. She has a lot of issues concerning suicide, dealing with abandonment, as well as violence from her father. And on top of it all, trying to deal with a zombie apocalypse. I was hooked and wanted to find out more about Sloane and what she was going to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this one! I thought it was kind of creepy but it was amazing. :) I really should read some of Courtney Summers' other novels.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)