Friday, July 31, 2020

Review: One True King by Soman Chainani

I have waited years to know how this series would end. To know if all the heartbreak and pain was worth it. To know if the happily ever after I was waiting for would come. To know if Agatha would get the ending she deserved. Finally all the waiting is over. And I am so happy to say that it was worth it. I loved this one the most.

Giving this precious five stars, of course. As it was everything I had hoped it would be and more. I was nervous about this final book. That it would not be everything I had wished this would be. But it was. Very much so. This story has meant so much to me. I know I will be reading them again. I'll never stop loving them all.

There is so much that I loved about this final book. I will not be able to write it all down. But I shall try. But do know that I loved every part of this most precious book and I cannot wait to read all the books again and again in the future. They are so perfect. As always, the writing is so good. The illustrations are precious and perfect. I love how they fit with everything. The covers are fully perfection. I love them to pieces. This was a book about a boy becoming a king. About him learning how to trust himself, how to behave like a king. It is about a girl learning to trust her prince, learning how to not lead everything by herself. It is about another girl trying to find her happy ending, after so many bad loves. About her learning how to fight for herself and everyone.

This book was full of secrets and twists coming to light. Some were all kinds of obvious, but some I did not see coming too. And they were all awesome. This book is about Tedros trying to become king. Trying to kill the Snake, Japeth. King Arthur left behind a second, secret, will. With three tests to decide who the real king would be. And gosh. These three tests were all kinds of interesting and exciting. And dangerous. So many dead characters. Ahh. But I loved reading about it all so very much. So thrilling. And so fully evil.

There is so much to share about this story. Will not mention too much about what happens. But my gosh, how exciting it all was. Tedros and Agatha trying to win the tests. Sophie trying to get free from the snake, who was controlling her. It was so sad to read about. But so good too; Sophie was amazing. More scenes with Merlin, all awesome. I just completely loved reading about Agatha and Tedros together. Their love is the strongest. And the friendship with Sophie and Agatha. The very best. I love them all very much. Sigh.

Everything about this book was perfect to me. Okay, I may have wished for more Agatha scenes, haha. And a little more romance between her and Tedros. Yes, they are in love, but I wanted to see even more of this love. Sigh. I guess that is why this is a middle grade series. Hmph. Still. The romance is very much perfect. And I love that the most. Agatha had to learn some lessons in this book. Which broke my heart a little, as I loved how she always took control over everything. Oops. But I also loved her growing up more.

There was a lot of scenes with Sophie and Hort. And I loved that so very much. I may have shipped them for ages. But worried if it would ever happen or not. We learn the answer to that in this book. And I loved it so much. Sigh. I loved how Sophie grows in this. How she cares more for others, putting them before herself. Yet still loving herself the most too. She was just way too precious. An evil witch at times, but so good at heart even so. Her friendship with Agatha was truly the best thing. They are so perfect together.

There was just so many amazing characters in this book. I cannot mention them all. But oh gosh, how I adored all of them. Hester and Anadil and Dot is still the most perfect witch coven. I love how they take care of each other. I loved learning more about Dot and her past. I loved how Hester and Anadil were a couple. They were adorable. I loved reading about all the first years. And all of the new characters. Only thing I wish is that there had been a real epilogue. A long one. There is so much I still wish to know. Ack.

I am so very excited and nervous about the Netflix movie deal. It is the best place this movie could have ended up, I think. But gosh, how I am nervous. Worried that they will ruin it. But so very hopeful too. They better cast the most perfect Agatha. I just cannot wait to know more about it all. Though nothing can ever replace my love for the books. But really hoping the movie will make me love them both. Fingers crossed. But yeah. What I really want is for Soman to write more books in this world, with these same characters.

But I also know that this was the end for them all. Everything closed, for the most part. There does not need to be more books. But gosh. How badly I want more, ha. I just love these characters and this world way too much. I only have one thing to complain about. And that is how messed up time is in this book. So many things do not make sense at all. Almost like Soman forgot what he had written, lol. I noticed it many times, how the years are not right. Like Hester and old Hansel and Gretel. It made no sense at all.

But still. This did not make me love this book any less. Oh. And one more thing. I felt like maybe there were a bit too many deaths in this book. Oops. I don't mind many dead characters at all, but there were so many important ones that ended up dead in this book. Ack. What bothers me most is how they never speak about these deaths. Like when Agatha's mom died. They haven't mentioned it since. I wish there had been more grief. Sure, they do not really have time, but I wish it had been there. Made it more real.

And yet. One True King was everything I wanted this final book to be and more. So full of adventure and danger and romance. The most beautiful friendships. The most perfectly written characters. All so flawed and so perfect. You all need to read this series too. These books are fully worth it. And should be read by all ages. I am so happy that I started reading these books years ago. So happy that I found them and fell in love with them. And so thrilled that I still love them all the same. Which is with all my heart. Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)