Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Review: The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong

After hearing lots of love about this book, I had such high hopes that I would love it. Today I finally got to read it. And I'm so happy to say that I liked it oh so much. This book was amazing. And I'm so glad I finally read it. Yay! Now I just need to own that gorgeous hardcover too, lol. I like this paperback, but don't love the cover.

But gosh, how do I even talk about this book. I shall try my best. It was so exciting from start to finish. I wish the ending had been a little bit longer, but I still loved it. And the ending was good. Happy about that. I'm giving this book a four star, because I had some issues with the writing, but besides that I loved it very much. Eee.

I want to read more books like this one. It was so exciting and still managed to have some romance, lol. Which was awesome. And gosh, there are so many deaths. Pretty brutal. But so amazing to read about. This book is a little bit heartbreaking, but I must admit that for the most part I was just swooning over the boy and the girl, lol. But yeah. This is a sad book. And full of suspense. And I liked it oh so much. But yeah, I had a few issues with it, hence the four star rating. I did not hate the writing. Not at all. I did like it. But I also had some issues with it, so yeah. Some of the adults bothered me so much. Sigh. I didn't like the way they were behaving. Hmph. But the rest was so good. And I liked the other characters a whole lot. Though that did end up hurting.

This book is mostly told from the point of view of Riley. Whom was all kinds of awesome. A bit broken. Yet still so strong and so kind. I loved her. She lost her dad over a year ago, which was so sad. He seemed awesome. And her mom and sister seems pretty good too. In the beginning at least, lol. And then Riley witness a murder while she's babysitting a child. The child's parents both die. And that messed her up a bit. Ahh. I so understand that. This book takes place four months after all that happened. Which I loved.

Riley is going to therapy, because she isn't dealing with it well. And I don't blame her one bit. Though I didn't agree with her feeling guilty. But I also understood why she did. So anyway. She's not doing so good. And to try to get better, she is going to spend one weekend at a sort of group therapy sleepover in an old warehouse being turned into a facility, kind of. I loved that. Seemed pretty interesting. She meets the other teenagers she's staying with, which aren't all that many, and I liked getting to know all of them.

There is so much happening in this book. I'm not sure where to begin. Gosh. I shall start with the boy Riley starts talking to. Max. She has seen him in therapy a few times, where she talks about all her issues, yet he says nothing. He seemed a bit bad at first, but he wasn't. Max was the sweetest boy. And I loved reading about Riley getting to know the real him. And gosh. My heart is breaking for this boy. I loved him so. He has an illness. It is very bad. But it was written so well. And I love him even more.

Things go wrong at this sleepover right away. Which was pretty awesome, yet so mean. Three masked men arrive with guns. Talking about taking them hostage, and asking for money. And ahh. This book was so exciting! I'm not sure how else to describe it. There is so many people who end up dead. Some in sad ways. Some I wanted dead. But all pretty sad. I didn't think that many people would get killed in this book. Ahh. But it was written so well and it all fit in the story and I loved it lots. Which sounds a bit wrong, lol.

I don't really have all that much to say about this book. I don't want to spoil what happens. But yeah. It is exciting and scary and so many surprises. It was awesome. I disliked most of the parents. Hmph. Even Riley's mom was pretty bad. Sad face. But the other characters were so interesting. Especially Max. Sigh. Getting to know him was so much fun. Yet such an evil book. I loved that there was romance in this book. And I shipped them oh so much. Riley and Max were just the cutest together. And fit together so well.

I'm not sure if you all have heard of this book or not. Because I haven't seen many reviews for it. And so I hope that if you see my review, you will buy it. And read it right away. Because this is not a book that you should miss out on. It is a book everyone should read, because it is awesome. And I'm so glad I read it. Eee. I wish it had been a bit longer, but I was also so happy with it all. Despite being a bit sad, lol. The ending is good. There is a lot of death, though, ahh. But so amazing even so. You all must read this one.


3 comments:

  1. Great review!! I love how you describe the book as well as your thoughts! This author has popped up a lot as I peruse blogs and bookstores. I may have to grab one.

    Danica @ A Redheaded Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was all kinds of messed up, but I looove it. :) I'm glad you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this for some time! Glad to hear you loved it, Carina! I can't wait. Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)