Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Review: Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman

Oh gosh. I finally got to read Gemina, almost thirteen months after I first read Illuminae. Huge thank you to Cailin at Rock the Boat in the UK for sending me this gorgeous ARC of Gemina. It means so much to me. And I'm so glad I got to read this book so early. Eee. I loved it to pieces. It was the most amazing. Sigh.

Everything about this book was amazing. Writing is gorgeous. I loved reading about all the characters, as they are all written so well. I loved the amazing writing style, so many different files to read through, to tell this story. I loved how gorgeous the inside and outside of this book is. Swoon. Can't wait for final artworks.

How to begin talking about this book, though? I do not know. There is so much. So much that I loved. So much that freaked me out a bit. And so, so much I still need to know. Gosh. Waiting for book three aka the final book to come out next year will be a bit of torture. I want it now. I need it now. Sigh. But anyway. Gemina was so precious. Everything I wanted it to be. It had a few things missing that I wanted, but I don't mind. Because reading about Nik and Hanna was the most amazing thing. I should start by saying that my review will have a few small spoilers about the plot of the book, the romance, and such. Nothing big. And it all happens in the first few pages. But some might not want to know, so adding a small warning for that.

This book tells the story of Nik and Hanna. Who are on the Jump Station Heimdall. Gemina starts right after Illuminae, timewise. But the book is for the most part all about Nik and Hanna. I was a bit sad at first, missing my Ezra, but I honestly didn't mind too much. Because Nik is all kinds of amazing. And getting to know him was the very best. Sigh. And Hanna is pretty awesome too, though she was a bit quick to judge at times. Aw. But she is so so fierce and strong and I adored her so much. I adored her dad as well. Aw.

As with Illuminae, this book is written in the most awesome way. And I loved reading every single part of it. A lot of the artwork was missing, though, since this isn't the finished copy. Aw. I shall just have to re-read when I get all my finished copies in October. Yesss. It's going to be stunning. It already is, but it will be even more perfect when fully finished. I also loved that a lot of the book is told through security camera footage, written by someone unknown. So curious about who this boy is. I wish to know. Badly.

I love how we get to know Nik and Hanna in the beginning of the book. Nik is just the most awesome. Swoon. He is part of a crime family. And I loved that. They were a bit bad, but seemed so awesome too, lol. I loved that Nik had tattoos. I loved how he had been crushing on Hanna for ages, and was flirting with her so often online. But I felt a bit bad for him too. Sigh. But anyway. I loved reading about Nik. So much. And I loved reading about his younger cousin, Ella. She was so awesome and fierce and I loved her tons.

But oh. Hanna. I loved this girl a lot. I really, really did. She was so strong and awesome and I loved how she could fight, because of her dad. But. I did not know that she had a boyfriend. Whom she has been dating for six months. I did not like it one bit. And it hurts my heart a little. Sniffs. But I'm getting over it. It just bothered me a bit, seeing them talking to each other, some dirty talk, and gah. But it was not a love triangle, though. So I can say that. Yay. But I hated that she had a boyfriend. Sigh. I didn't like him. Hmph.

But enough about that. I just had to mention it, which I hope is okay, because I really wish I had known it before reading the book. I mean, I still loved the book more than I can say, and it is still a five star for me, because it is all kinds of precious and amazing. But that one part made me a bit unhappy. Aw. But the rest of the book is so so good. I loved reading about Nik and Hanna. I loved how they flirted a bit all the time. I loved how they managed to fight together. Mostly I just loved reading about them all the time.

The plot in this book is beyond amazing. I'm not going to talk too much about it, but ahh. I must mention it a little bit. The bad guys in this series is the BeiTech people. And they are planning on getting rid of Heimdall station. So they have sent some people over to take over the station. And gosh. Things get so brutal. So so many people die. It was pretty heartbreaking. Yet pretty well written too, and I couldn't help but love it all. There is a lot of action in this book. A lot of hiding out. And it is so awesome and exciting.

Not only are there awful people in this one, there is also some type of creature too. And I'm not going to say more than that about it. But it was pretty badass. And evil. Shudders. I loved reading about it so much, haha. How these creatures came to be, what they were used for. All so interesting. And disgusting. So much love. There is just so much happening all the time in this book. And I can't mention all of it. Just know that I loved the plot so much. It was so exciting and I never wanted it to end. It was long, though.

Gemina was everything I wanted it to be. It is full of action and suspense. A small part romance. I could not stop reading this book. Gemina was the most perfect sequel to Illuminae. And I'm so glad I got to read it early. This book is going to blow you away with how awesome it is. You are not ready. If you have it, go read it. If you don't have it, go pre-order it. You do not want to miss Gemina. Ahh. Thank you so much Jay and Amie for writing this perfection. I loved it oh so much. I cannot wait to complete my collection of it.


5 comments:

  1. ah you're so lucky! even though I haven't read Illuminae, I'm oddly looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I'm glad you explained a little bit about the "love triangle" you were wondering about, when you started reading this one. That kind of thing, with a boyfriend at the start of the book, I can handle. I can't wait to read this book! Fantastic review, Carina. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started the audio to Illuminae and never got back to it, but it was really good. Very original! I'll have to read this after. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my worries about this book is that I am going to miss Erza a lot but I am glad to here that Nik was just as much if not more amazing ;)

    Also glad you enjoyed the book and cannot wait to dive into Gemina myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many good things about these books. However you have totally convinced me to move these to the top of my TBR pile - sounds like an amazing story. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)