Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Review: Give the Dark My Love by Beth Revis

Finding the words to describe my love for this book will not be easy. But I will try my hardest. I had high hopes for this one, as I adore Beth, and it sounded just like my kind of book. I'm thrilled to say that it was. And I enjoyed it all very much. Even that very evil ending. It was so awesome. Five stars for this precious book.

This book tells the story of seventeen year old Nedra. I adored this girl beyond words. She was amazing to read about and I so loved getting to know her more and more. She broke my heart so much towards the end of the book. I still loved her the very most. Though, yeah, not knowing what's going to happen next kills me.

There is so very much to know about Nedra. She is from a small village, where she lived with her parents and her twin sister. And gosh, how I adored her family. They are not in this book a lot, but they were important even so. So kind and sweet and supportive. I loved it. Her father was a book seller. Which I loved even more. Nedra was such an awesome girl, and I loved her to pieces. She just got accepted to this amazing school to learn about medicinal alchemy. She wants to learn more about the plague and what she can do to help. Arriving at this school was not as easy as she had hoped it would be. Everyone already knows each other. And they are all rich. She is the only one on a scholarship, only one from a poorer village farther away. That does not stop her.

Nedra was strong and brave and just all kinds of awesome. I loved her so. In the beginning of the book, many of the other teenagers at this school did not treat her well. Because she was not like them. But she was smart. And did so well at alchemy. She ended up getting private lessons very fast, and so she did not hang out much with the other students. Except for this one boy, a boy that started talking to her the very moment she arrived. And whom was kind to her. Grey. Gosh, how I adored this boy. He was so amazing.

And reading about their growing friendship was the very best thing. There is a small romance in this book. And it's beyond cute and adorable. Though, yeah, Grey was a bit stupid at times, which I think I blame on him growing up rich and not understanding much of the poor parts of the world. But he never did anything bad, which I loved him for even more. He was there and he was adorable. And I shipped him and Nedra so much. Sigh. I'm a little worried about the next book. No triangle at all, though, so so happy about that.

Although there was romance in this book, the story does not focus on that. I shall not talk too much about everything, but I will mention the biggest parts of the plot. Mainly the plague. A lot of poorer villages have been killed by a plague for about a year now. The symptoms are pretty bad. And there are very, very few people who survive it. It has started spreading now to other places as well. Nedra is desperate to help the people who are getting sick and dying. Especially when the plague makes it to her family. My poor heart.

This book focus on Nedra. And her need to help those who are sick and dying. She studies so much of alchemy and she learns more about the plague. And how she can help. Which is not an easy thing. And oh, there is a lot of people that die in this book. It's pretty horrible. Yet written really well. I loved reading about the life of Nedra. And her relationship with Grey. This book takes place over six months. Nedra spends most of this time working at a quarantine hospital, helping those who are dying. It's exhausting.

I shall not mention much more about this plot. Only that it was awesome and that I loved it so. My heart was breaking for every person that died. My heart was breaking for Nedra too, because she was doing too much. Yet I loved her for it. She was such a good person. Though then the ending happened, and I'm not fully sure what she is anymore, haha. But I do know that I still love her so very much. This story was exciting. And rude. There is a lot happening. The book is long. And I loved every moment of it. So good.

After seeing Beth mention this, I would agree that this is pretty much a villain origin story. Nedra ends up going very dark. For good reasons, though. But there is treason. And she has crossed a lot of lines by the end of the book. I still love her so much. But oh gosh, I need a happy ending so badly. And I am not sure I will be getting one. Hmm. But I have hope. I adore Nedra and Grey so much and I am dying to read more about them both. The final book cannot come soon enough. Very excited to read whatever happens next.

Give the Dark My Love was everything I wanted it to be and more. It was a little different from what I had imagined, in a good way. Nedra was such an amazing character to read about. And I very much adored Grey. Reading about them together was the best. The world in this book pretty much broke my heart. Oh. There is a lot of death. Which was heartbreaking to read about. But so good. Give the Dark My Love was such a thrilling story full of heart. The alchemy was interesting and exciting to read about too. Loved it all.

Huge thank you to Penguin Random House International for sending me the free ARC copy of this book to read and review. Feeling so happy and thankful for the chance to read this book early. I cannot wait to own all the finished copies of it too. Eee. I read this book on July 29th. Now I shall have to try to patiently wait for the final book to come out. I need it so badly. Must know what happens next. I'm so excited and so nervous. I need you all to read this book. It is so good and so worth reading. You must buy it right now.


1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous review! I think I definitely need to add this one to my must-read pile. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)