Sunday, August 18, 2013

Review: Gustav Gloom and the Four Terrors by Adam-Troy Castro

This is the third book in the awesome middle grade books about Gustav Gloom. Just saw that it's been a whole year since I read the first book. Yet I remembered just about everything from it. I will probably re-read these three books when the fourth one comes out, maybe. They are pretty awesome.

These books are quick reads. Which I love. Yet I hate that they are so short. I wanted more and more and more. Never wished for it to end. And then it does end, on an evil cliffhanger. But not too evil, I can deal with it. Just know that I really truly need the fourth book as soon as possible. I need to know :)

We see a lot more of Gustav and Fernie in this book. I adore them both so much. Felt like Fernie was a bit mean to Gustav a few times, but I couldn't really blame her. I just want Gustav to be loved, because he is such a sad little boy. Sniffs. We also get more of Pearlie and Mr. What. Loved reading about them all. Sad that there weren't much of the cat in this book. But there is a dinosaur instead. Which was pretty amazing.

I won't be saying all that much in this review of mine. Just that I enjoyed the book. It's fun and full of adventures, like the first two books. And like them it all happens in a day. And there is a lot of things happening. I loved it all. I just had a few issues with this book, and they weren't really a big deal. For the most part I enjoyed the writing. And I just loved the characters so much. They are special. Adore Gustav the most, though. He's adorable and sad and perfect. He and Fernie are perfect as friends.

Loved reading about the shadows as well. Although I got creeped out by the evil ones. There is a lot of evil shadows in this book. They were pretty amazing but also a bit scary which I loved. Cannot wait to read more about them. This was a fun book. A bit sweet and full of love. Fernie is ten year olds and I can't remember how old Gustav is, but I think maybe the same age. They are just so adorable to read about. I love the things they do and the things that happened in this book. You need to read the series.

I haven't really decided yet how I wish to rate this book. I'm giving it a four star. But it might have been a four point five at times. I didn't love it as much as the second book, but I found it sweet and entertaining and scary. Gustav Gloom and the Four Terrors was an amazing book. A great sequel to the first two books. I just need to know what happens next now :) There will be a forth book. There must be. Because this is a very evil cliffhanger. So I'm really excited for the next one; I need it :)

I just about forgot the most perfect part of these books. The illustrations. They are so perfect. They fit so well with the book and how I imagine the characters to look while reading. They are also really pretty, and I just wish there had been even more of the drawings. Because they truly are gorgeous. Cannot wait to see more of them in the next books. I'm sure they will be even prettier. <3 Need some news now.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you liked the illustrations! It's great when they actually enhance the book, rather than just come across as gimmicky. I haven't read the first two books yet, so I will need to check them out. Great review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is too cute! I definitely want to read this series- the book sound really good! I like that the illustrations add to the book and I look forward to checking this out! Thanks for sharing! :) <3
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very happy you enjoyed this one. I love illustrations if done correctly. I haven't read any in this series..but I'll have to add them to my TBR list.

    My Friends Are Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, these books sound adorable! I've never even heard of them, but I'm always on the lookout for charming middle grade books. The illustrations are so cute, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)