Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

I have wanted this book for some time now, and I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago :) And then I got accepted to read it via NetGalley, and I knew I couldn't wait until my hardcover came out in May :D And I wanted to love it so much. But, I only liked this book. But then, I really did like it, so that's good :)

What drew me to this book is the gorgeous cover, and then I read the summary, and thought it sounded amazing. And the cover really is special; it plays a huge part in the book.

I sort of had some huge issues with this book. It took me a long time in the beginning to get used to the writing, but I never truly did. Also didn't think so much of the main character; Mia. She acted weird at times, and not very believable. But, I still did like her. She is an amazing character most of the time, even though she didn't react like I wanted her to most of times ;p

Mia is a lightning addict. And I totally get that, to be honest. It sounds sort of awesome to be struck by lightning. Except for the fact that you might die, and that your body ends up all scarred. But besides that, it sounds amazing ;) Mia is a kind character, trusting, sometimes strong, but she is sort of dumb. What I liked the least, was her mother. And how forgiving Mia was towards her.

I would never have forgiven her, I think. Because to me, Mia's mother did not sound like a nice person. Even if she has lost her husband years ago, and then almost died herself, I did not like how she was towards Mia in this book. She almost openly said that she thinks Mia ruined their life. And she says that Mia is cursed, when she has told Mia for years she doesn't believe that.

And yeah, I'm just not the forgiving type. So I don't see how Mia could just let that go. No matter though, because that isn't a big part of the plot ;p Well, it sort of is, but not really. I also didn't like Mia's brother, Parker much. He didn't seem to care at all, either. And he was sort of dumb many times, and he didn't trust his older sister at all. Which I don't get. But, yeah.

The thing I disliked the most though, was the Prophet thing. I cannot stand God. And I do not believe in him at all, so because of that this book was even harder for me to like. Considering half of Los Angeles has gotten all believers in God and what not. Didn't like that. And I think it focused too much on it, as well.

But besides all that, I found the plot to be really great :D The story is sort of awesome, and there is always something happening, although most things I could predict would happen myself. But even so, the story is great, and there is lots of action, and there is romance. And I loved the ending of this book. It ends sweet. Mostly.

The love interest, Jeremy, is amazing. I really loved him. But, I felt like the romance happened sort of fast, but I did love that, but I felt like it happened fast because one second she was terrified of him, then she suddenly loved him less than a day later. But still, I do get that, and I am that way myself ;p Anyway, Jeremy is an awesome person, so sweet and kind. Hoping for more of him :)

What I also liked about the plot of this book, is the gift so many people seem to have. And I liked those. Although some shouldn't have had anything at all. But still, it is interesting to read about :) Don't want to spoil this book for you, so the rest you must figure out yourself when you read it ;)

There doesn't really have to be a sequel to this book, it could have been a stand alone. But, I am glad there will be a sequel :) Because I do want to know more about these characters, and what happens next. But because of the issues I had with this book, it is only a 3,5 star for me. But I did really enjoy it :)

Anyway, this is a great book, and you really should read it when it comes out :)
Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group for the ARC of this book. <3

~

Update July 7th 2013: I had to change my rating for this book from a three star to a two star. Why? Because while it has been a while since I read it, I just realized that I was not being honest when rating it. I did not enjoy it as much as I claimed with my three star rating. And because of that I had to change it. Because I like being honest, and giving this a star more than it deserve is not being honest. It is officially a two star for me, because I can’t even remember much of the story, and I would not ever re-read the book. I’m sorry, but not really, because you can’t love every book.


3 comments:

  1. Great review Carina! I should be starting this one soon (hopefully!) and I can't wait to get stuck in. The cover is what drew me to this book at first too and the description just sounds amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's a shame the romance developed pretty fast but it's reassuring to hear you liked it despite that. I'm looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) <3 I think you'll like it very much :D Hope you will, anyway :) The romance is a bit fast, but it is good. Really :D

      Delete
  2. Ha! Carina...you said it so well. I can't stand the god reference and while I understand it is some people's thing, it's not mine so I'm kind of just think the book is okay so far. Only a 100 pages but I'm hoping I can my mind. Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)