Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

I'm feeling very undecided about this book. I should be giving it a five star, but because of some personal preferences I'm only giving it four (A) Which I will tell you all about longer down, but it is spoilery :) When I first saw the cover of this book I knew I had to have it. I was unsure if I would like it, since it didn't mention any romance, but I knew I needed it.

Then I picked it up yesterday, and oh, I'm glad I did. It is an amazing book. It is good written, it's exciting, mysterious and it is super creepy. I think I mostly liked the characters. I really liked Ruby in the first few pages, before that thing happened.

She seemed like an amazing sister. And she kind of is, in the entire book. But, she isn't normal. And she is kind of crazy, which really creeped me out. But, she loves her sister Chloe, and I'm glad she does.

I mostly liked Chloe. She is an interesting character, a great lead character, but I didn't like that she so blindly did anything her sister said she should. Just like they all did. Everyone in town. The boys, the girls, everyone. It isn't really explained much, what Ruby can do, but I understood it just fine. And it is creepy :p

I found the plot to be really great, I loved everything about the reservoir, even though it really is creepy and all. I also mostly loved how close Chloe and Ruby was, even though I did think it was too much sometimes. But I didn't mind so much. I think.

What I did mind though, and this is very SPOILERY, so if you don't want to know, don't read ;)
I didn't like that there was no romance. I think it would have made the story even better, even if it almost perfect on it's own. Because there is a guy, Owen, and he could have been perfect for Chloe. But then, I don't know why, the author just ruined everything they could have had together. What really bothered me was that they had sex. And that was just it. Nothing more. The author just decided that was it, that there shouldn't be a love interest. And I really, really didn't like that. Wish there had been more :) But, I still liked the book. Much.

Anyway, I don't want to say too much about this book, so that I spoil you, so I'm just going to say that you should read this book :) Because it is really good. And creepy ;)

4 comments:

  1. I can understand why that bit bothered you. I usually like something to develop too, but I guess we are both very particular with romance. :) I enjoyed this book quite a bit but it wasn't perfect for me either. still, great review! I'm glad you enjoyed it mostly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this was a strange one for me too, especially because I adored it for the most part, but there were things I hated and the ending felt horribly unresolved.
    I still think Suma deserves praise for her writing, which is exceptional, and I can't wait to see what she does next.
    Lovely review!
    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! So much. Didn't like the ending :\ especially since Chloe had no one. But yeah, I agree with you; the writing is amazing :) Hoping there might become a sequel ;p
      Thank you for commenting :) <3

      Delete
  3. Chloe, like many complex characters, is difficult to put into words when explaining her. Often unreliable as a narrator, almost everything is about Ruby with her from beginning to end. I didn't always like her and she often made me feel uncomfortable, but she is interesting and I can't deny her merits as a character. The codependent, obsessive, yet oddly compelling relationship the two siblings have is the strongest point of the novel. For anyone familiar with manipulative people or behavior like I am, it's clear from the beginning what kind of person Ruby is. If one is unfamiliar, they'll come to see just how manipulative she can be as the novel goes on, using everyone from ex-boyfriends to her own little sister like they're puppets.

    The novel isn't necessarily plot-driven or character-driven--at least, I didn't think it was. What I felt really drove the novel was Chloe's smooth narrative voice, which kept me reading just so I could see what else she had to say. While a reader's desire to learn more about what's going on and figure the surreal world within the town will keep them reading too if the prose isn't enough for them. As one friend of mine who was reading it at the same time put it, the narration reads like a monologue, and it's so twisted yet so beautiful yet so unreliable and... And... Oh, screw it, let's get an excerpt in here to show you what I mean.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)