Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Review: The Night Hunt by Alexandra Christo

This sounded like it would be such an great monster book. And it was. I really liked this story a whole lot. A four star for me. It was almost perfect. It was so much fun and a little bit of sad too. Most of all it had a bunch of romance, which I liked most of all. Oh, and monsters. So many of them. The writing was pretty much perfect.

I may struggle to find the words to describe this book, though. But going to do my best to write this review. I very much enjoyed this story. I liked that it was about monsters living in the human world. I liked that it was a fantasy world, not like ours. I so loved getting to know the different types of monsters. They were all interesting.

I must also mention that cover. It is so stunning. And it is what the main girl looks like. The monster part of her. Although she mostly passes for a human. I loved her white hair. I loved reading about her when she was fully a monster, loved her horns. I so loved her powers of feeding on fears. It starts with that, which is how we get to know Atia. I liked that a lot. Her powers were awesome, ha. A bit creepy, but I very much loved that. I also loved getting to know her. As she was pretty amazing. She had been alone for the past three years, since her parents were murdered when she was fourteen years old. She is now the very last of her kind, the last Nefas. I liked how we got to know more about her type of monster as this story goes on. I loved her. And I just found all of it to be pretty fascinating, to be honest, ha. It was written pretty well.

Then there was Silas, the Herald. Also some type of monster. But he wasn't actually alive. He seemed to be around Atia's age of seventeen. But he had been a herald for fifty years, stuck in place, not living. His job was to help the dead move on. Which seemed so boring, ha, but so interesting too. Silas is so not like the others of his kind. He wants more. He want to remember his past, which has been taken from him. He wants to know who he was. And he does not want to live life as a herald anymore. I so loved this boy. Oh.

Atia and Silas end up together when he is sent to curse her. She looses her immortality and her abilities. But Silas knows of a way she can get them back. By killing three different monsters. He also needs her help, to get his memories back. So their journey together begins. They have two more with them, though. Tristan and Cillian. I liked getting to know them both, as they were pretty adorable. And I liked how much closer they all got. Tristan was fully human. Cillian was half human, half banshee. This was so awesome.

There is so much going on in this book. Yet it takes place over a very short amount of time. I'm not going to say too much about everything, I do not think. It was a fast and easy book to read, despite taking days for me to read it, as I had too little time. Oops. But it was a book that I will not forget. And I so very much enjoyed it. I liked that it was pretty dark. Atia feeding on the fears of humans. Her having a sort of vampire friend who murdered humans. Then herself killing some other, less kind, monsters. I loved it. Was creepy.

It is about Atia and Silas wanting to change their lives, their future. Somewhat. Atia has been hiding in the darkness of night her whole life, as her parents were too scared of something. Then they were killed. And Atia is still hiding. And also blaming herself. I liked the small glimpses of her past life, her parents seemed great. She was full of pain. Yet full of life, and I just adored her. I loved her instant connection with Silas. A little banter at first. But then a lot of love too. They just fit together. Sigh. Anyway. Was a pretty good story.

And yet. This book was a four star for me, not five. As I did not fully love all of it. I found the romance to be pretty much incredible, yet also a little bit of cheesy. And it moved so very fast. But I did love it. There was one short moment of betrayal, that I did not like, but it lasted like five pages, ha. So I did not mind at all. And it happened during an almost-death of one of them. I loved that the most. Sigh. I had one issue with the writing, as I thought there was a little too much smirking. I just do not like it, ha. Sorry about that.

But even so. The Night Hunt was such an incredible story. And I very much enjoyed it. I loved many parts of it. The characters were amazing. The world created was all kinds of fun and interesting. I liked the five different kingdoms. I wish Vail had been punished more, so I was disappointed about that, ha. I liked the ending a whole lot. And I'm glad it had finish, though I would love more about these characters, of course. But yes. This book was good. And I cannot wait to read even more books by Alexandra. You must read it.

Goodreads - Blackwells - Amazon US - Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)