Sunday, October 29, 2017

Review: Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman

I am so glad that I decided to re-read this short story right now. Have only read it once before, and I had forgotten a bunch of it. This book tells the story of Lee Scoresby, when he was twenty four years old. It tells the story of how he met Iorek. And a little about how he ended up owning a balloon. It's an exciting story.

Once Upon a Time in the North isn't a very long book, but it's an amazing tale. I adored reading about Lee again, especially after having just re-read the trilogy. He was a character that I adored a whole bunch, and my heart still breaks about his ending in the books. And reading about him being young was all kinds of fun.

The writing was just all kinds of stunning, like always. This story is pretty short, and not that much happens, yet it still managed to be exciting and interesting. Mostly it's a book about Lee, and getting to know him a bit more. I liked that a whole lot. Because Lee is such an interesting character and I love him oh so much. His special bond with his dæmon, Hester, is the cutest thing. So love reading about them together. This plot in this book is about Lee having just landed his balloon in a new town, and he's looking for work. Instead he ends up seeing a lot of people being rude and mean, and he decides to do something about it. I loved that Lee had a lot of honor and that he was such a good man. I mean, it almost got him killed, but still. Lee was the very best.

Not going to write much more about this book. It's short, yet so lovely. Reading about Lee was awesome. And I loved reading about him meeting Iorek when he was young too. I adore that bear. And so the two of them together is the best. Oh, how I love all of these books by Philip. This world is simply the best. I only wish there were tons and tons more books like this one. I don't want to stop reading about all these lovely characters. Aw. If you still haven't read this short story, then you really must. As it is so good and exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)