Sunday, October 22, 2017

Review: The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

This book is still my favorite. It's huge and so amazing. It took me some time to read it this fourth time, but it was so worth it. It still destroys my heart. It still has the best romance, even though it's only for such a short time. Sobs. The ending is still the worst evil thing, yet I still notice tons of hints for a happy future. I hope.

The ending to this amazing trilogy is simply the best book. It's so long and it is full of information. A whole bunch of different point of views, and they were all interesting and exciting. Yes, I still do prefer Lyra and Will, but loved reading from them all. Especially Mary. There is so much happening in this book and I loved it all.

I just can't stop being thrilled about the fact that Philip is writing more books about Lyra. I'm so, so happy. It's all I have wanted since I first read these books some years ago. The first Book of Dust is about Lyra as a baby, so nothing truly new about her, but it's more from the amazing world, and I can't wait to read it next. Hoping the wait for book two won't be too long, because in that one Lyra will be around twenty years old. And I'm so, so excited for that. She will be that in book two and three. Oh, I have the highest hope that Will is going to be in the books too. But I also have the biggest fear, that he will not. That Lyra will have moved on with someone else. And if that happens, I will forever be shattered. But I don't really think that it will be like that. Maybe.

But anyway. More about this lovely third book. I'm not going to mention everything that happens in it, for I have already written three reviews before this one. I just love sharing a bit of my love for these books. As my love is endless. This world that Philip has created is the most amazing thing to read about. There are dæmons, which every human in the world that Lyra is from has. Oh, how I wish I had my own dæmon. It would be a cat, for sure. And there are a lot of other worlds too, and they are all awesome. And exciting.

So much happens in this book. There is a big war. There are angels included. And more of the witches. And more of Iorek, King of the panserbjørne. I love that bear a whole bunch. And then there are all the ghosts too. And the land of the dead. And gosh, those pages were pretty heartbreaking to read about. Yet oh so exciting. Especially when Lyra and Will ended up getting closer because of it. There is a lot more of Mrs. Coulter, and while I did not like her in the first books, I must admit that I did like her a lot in this one.

I still do not know how I feel about Lord Asriel, though. Lyra does have some powerful parents, for sure. And she is so fierce and amazing too and I just love reading about this girl. I love how she grows a lot in this final book. I love how loving and brave she is. And sometimes clever too. I love her relationship with her dæmon, Pan. It's the sweetest. And oh, her friendship with Will. And that is the best part of the whole book, and I love it to pieces. I really loved how she started to feel more for him, near the end of the book.

There isn't a lot of romance in this final book. They are still really young. And they just realized they had feelings for each other near the end of the book. And so they only have days together, and ahh. It breaks my heart so, so badly. But those pages were the best. The first kiss. So sweet and perfect. I ship Will and Lyra more than any other couple. And it ruins me when I think about how it ended for them. I can't take it. The most evil and heartbreaking ending. I need it to be all better again in the second Book of Dust book.

Anyway. I have already written more than I was going to about this book. I just love it so much. The world is amazing. The characters are all stunning. And the story is so good. So much happens in this final book, and I could never explain it all. Just know that it is a lot and it is brilliant. The Amber Spyglass is the best book. And if you still have not read this one, then shame on you. It is a book that everyone needs to have read at least once in their life. Because the story of Will and Lyra is not one to be missed. Not by anyone.


2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you loved this so much, Carina. I'm always worried when I start a new series if the last book will be a disappointment so nice to hear this wasn't the case. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing. I loved hearing your thoughts. I have added it to my list. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)