Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Review: Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson

Eee, I have waited so long to get to read this book. And now I finally have. And oh, I loved this sequel a whole bunch. The writing is still pretty gorgeous. And the characters just get better and better. Plus the story is moving forward so fast, and I love it oh so much. So glad that I finally got to read and love this book.

I'm unsure how to talk about my feelings for this one. I think I loved book one a little bit more, but I still loved this so much. There is so much happening at all time. Book one took place over so many months. This one takes place in just about one month. Ack. It's more fast paced, but also a bit slow at times.

I just adored this book so much. I love that it is told from the point of view of Lee, aka Leah, whom I still think is the very best. She's such an amazing girl. And I love reading about her. I love reading about her powers over gold, and how much it is changing in this sequel. Eee. It was pretty amazing to read about. I cannot wait to know more about it in book three. So excited. Lee is also just such a good person. And I love that about her. This book starts about a month  after the end of book one, which I liked. I loved getting to see all the characters I adored in book one again right away. All the characters in this book was amazing to read about. Though there are some old ones showing up too, and that just made my heart hurt. Ack! There was so many evil men.

In this book they are all building a town in California. Where they search for gold too. And gosh, reading about it all was just so much fun. I loved how Lee helped them all. But also how they all helped her too. I loved how Becky opened a restaurant, sort of, and how she is still the worst cook. She's awesome. And I loved all the other characters too. So much. I feel very bad for one of the families, though, ack. There is a big fire early on. Someone dies. It was very sad to read about. Sniffs. But so awesome and exciting too.

My favorite characters are, as always, Lee and Jefferson. I love reading about their small romance. How he has been crushing on her forever. How she is just starting to feel the same way. How she is still a bit unsure around him, and gah. It was just so cute to read about. The romance isn't very big, but it is so amazing. More in this one than the first book. Eee. They are just the cutest. Jefferson is still an amazing person. I love how he tries to make Lee see that she loves him too. I love how cute he is with her. Swoon.

There is just so much happening in this book. So much awful too. So many people die. Which was pretty heartbreaking to read about. Yet all kinds of interesting too. Sadly, we get to see more of Lee's uncle, Hiram. And oh god. I hated this man. I hated him beyond words. We learn more about him. Some things I'm not sure are true or not. But yeah. I did not like him at all. Plus side, he had two people working for him that I liked a bunch. Especially the giant man. But gosh. Hiram was the worst. And that's that. Hmph.

I'm not going to say much about this book. Just that I liked it a whole bunch. And that I found it pretty easy to read. The ending is perfect, but gah, I wish this book was even longer. I love how this book is more about looking for gold, and more about Lee's gift. It was so interesting to read about. Well, okay, everything was interesting to read about. I had a few small issues at times, when I had trouble paying attention, but I'm okay with that. Mostly I loved this book. And it is most definitely a five star for me. Yess.

There is one thing about this book that bothered me. Hmm. The Indians. I get that they are being treated in the worst way. And it breaks my heart to read about. It was so evil and awful. But. I did not like how they treated Lee because of it. Like it was her fault. Like she could do better. Like they had more pain than her. That bothered me a whole bunch. Yes, they have it worse, but that does not mean Lee didn't have it bad. That does not mean they can talk to her that way. It wasn't a big deal, but it bothered me.

I think that my most favorite part of this book was the ending. It was beautiful. And just awesome. I feel like it ended in a good place, but gosh, I am beyond thrilled that there will be a third book. Still so many things I wish to know. And the story isn't complete yet. I just can't wait for it to be out. It will be amazing. Sigh. I loved Like a River Glorious oh so much. This sequel was fantastic. It is full of adventure and romance and gold and evil people. I had so much fun reading this book. Though it also broke my heart.

Huge thank you to the publisher for my auto-approval on Edelweiss, so that I could get this precious right away. I cannot wait to get my hardcover of it too. And still looking for that stunning print ARC. Ack. I want very much. But yeah. These books are so stunning. The covers are gorgeous. And I simply love this story to pieces. If you still haven't read book one, get moving. You will need this sequel. And you will love it too. So glad I got to read this book right now. Because I enjoyed reading it oh so much. Don't forget to order it.


1 comment:

  1. Forgive me but I did not read your review *too* closely! I have this one for review, coming up very soon. I am really happy to see a five-star rating though! I didn't totally love book one, but I'm excited to read this book. Fantastic review, Carina!

    Have a wonderful week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)