Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review: Above by Leah Bobet

I've wanted to read this book ever since I saw the cover some months back. And because of the amazing summary :) What the summary didn't tell me though, is how heartbreaking this book is. How much it hurts reading it. That there isn't any romance at all. And it did not tell me how amazing this book is. Because it is. It is really, really good. But you should know; there will be a few spoilers in my review :)

Above starts out really awesome. I love the main character; Matthew. Loved that this story was told from his POV :) It was a bit hard for me to get used to the writing; but I'm guessing it's just the way he thinks and talks from living below for his entire life. And I didn't mind it so much :) Matthew is an awesome person. He is a Teller. And I really liked him :)

Anyway, this book starts really good. But it also has a lot of deaths in the beginning. And they were brutal. But I also loved them; which doesn't make much sense. Just thought it was well written. There is a lot going on plot wise, and I do not really want to spoil it for you. So this review will be a bit short; since I can't talk much about the amazing plot ;)

But I can say that it is awesome. I love these kinds of books. Where people are all sorts of screwed up; but not in the normal way. And I just loved every minute of it. The plot in this book is amazing. There is interesting things happening at all times, and there is so much to be learned.

I really loved Matthew; like I said. But I loved a lot of characters in this book. Like old Whisper. And old Jack. They were amazing characters; and I liked that they were there :) Liked a few other characters; but not as much. There were however also many characters that I did not like at all ;p

Then there is Ariel. Or Ari. Whose real name we never learned :\ She is an amazing character. I loved what she could do, but she is the most broken of them all. And I sort of hated her for it. I thought this book would have lots of romance; because it seemed like it would have that. But it doesn't. Matthew loves Ari. He really does. Like love, love her. And I understand why he does. But she doesn't seem to.

I was confused a whole lot about the romance thing in this book. They had lived together below for about 8 months, and she was still flinching whenever he tried to touch her. And they never kissed. Which I really hated. Would have loved it if it was only one kiss.. but there wasn't. I get that she was Sick and all, but I really hated it. Wish it had been different.

But I did really like her; mostly :) And I liked her story. Just, yeah, I wanted more romance. And I wanted her to care for Matthew like he cared for her. With the ending of this book; I was disappointed. But, it does lead up to a second book. And I really hope there will be another one :)

There is a lot of deaths in this book. And they all seem real, and they are all brutal. But I still sort of loved it. And Matthew is awesome. As is many other things. So if you have not read this book, you really need to :) Because it is really good.

5 comments:

  1. Great review Carina, I really really want this book too so I'm glad you enjoyed it! Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D <3 I think you'll like it ;) It is awesome :) <3

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you still liked this even though there wasn't much romance - I would have expected a fair bit too. Still, I'm glad it's a great read! It sounds amazing and I can't wait to read it myself. Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is awesome besides that :D Think you'll love it ;D
      Thank you for commenting, Sam. <3

      Delete
  3. What an interesting concept! I need this book now and I already know that I'm going to like the relationship between Matthew and Ariel.
    And that cover is gorgeous!
    Florida NY House cleaning site info

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)