Thursday, February 4, 2016

Review: Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand

I don't know how to deal with my feelings for this book. I can't. It was simply perfection. I have wanted to read it for so long, ever since Claire first started talking about it. As I adore Claire. And her books have all been amazing so far. I knew I would love this stunning middle grade. And I did. The most. It was so good.

But how do I even begin to talk about it? Oh, I don't know. This book was everything I wanted it to be and more. It made me feel so much. It made me cry. Many times. My heart was hurting at all times. It was painful. Yet I was so happy while reading it. This book was simply precious. Cannot deal with this perfect.

The writing is gorgeous. I adore how Claire writes books. She's the best. And the writing in this one was so good. All the love. The story is so well done too. And the characters. They broke my heart. They made me so happy. They were written perfectly. I couldn't have loved this middle grade book more than I did. Well, okay, I might have wished for a bit of romance, lol, but it so didn't need that. I'm thrilled with how much I loved this book. With how amazing it was. With how heartbreaking it was. I loved it the most. And I cannot wait to read it again. Which will probably end up being really painful for me, as it broke my heart wide open. But I still cannot wait to read it again and again. Because this book was beautiful. It means the most to me.

This is the story of eleven year old Finley. Whom is the most adorable girl I have read about. She is amazing. I loved reading from her point of view. I loved getting to know her. I love how she wrote in her notebook. How she had been writing about a mysterious forest called Everwood for years. How she felt so much, yet managed to not share it with anyone. I loved how broken she was, at the same time that it hurt me so badly. I loved the most to get to know her. To know why she was so sad and broken at times.

Finley is simply the best person. And I felt like more people should have seen that. Her parents are going through a bad time, so Finley is sent to live with her grandparents for the summer. Whom she has never met before. She has never seen her father's family at all, which is odd. She don't want to go. Which is heartbreaking. But she does it, without complaining. She was the best. I wish her parents hadn't left her there like that, but I'm also so glad that they did. Because I adored this story the most.

I'm not sure how to describe it. But I will try. Finley is a quiet person. Yet she has such an amazing imagination. And when she finally gets to know all of her cousins, they became such great friends. I loved it the most. Those kids hanging out was the best to me. They had fun. They were so cute. And they met three boys across the river that their grandparents has told them to stay away from. As if that happens, lol. They all become friends. And it is beautiful. I loved them all so much. Then it goes wrong.

Everything goes wrong. And it hurt my heart so much. Finley was in so much pain, inside. I felt like her grandparents didn't try to help her at all, they only made things worse, which was so bad. I did not like her grandma and grandpa very much at all. He seemed nice, sometimes. But then he did something I didn't like at all. Sigh. And her grandma was so strict when it came to certain things, and it broke my heart. Yet Finley still loves them. And I don't blame her for that. I really don't. But I had some issues :)

There is secrets in this book. Family secrets. I tried to guess them, but I had some things wrong. Which was exciting. But those secrets were pretty heartbreaking to read about. Yet I loved how they were finally revealed. It was the best. And so sad. This whole book was sad. And hopeful. And happy. And so beautiful. But yes. It did make me cry a lot of times. I loved it the most. I didn't like how this family kept so many secrets. It was wrong. So wrong. Yet I couldn't help but like them all so much, even so.

This is a story about Finley trying to be happy. Trying to figure out why she feels the way she feels. She has so many thoughts. It made me so sad. Because Finley is so special. I just wanted her to be happy. But I loved how sad she was at times. It made her even more special. All the characters in this one was stunning to read about. The girls were so much fun. And the boys too. Especially Jack. I shipped him and Finley so much, hih. They were just the cutest. Much love. The friendships were the best. So much fun.

I have said so much about this book already. But I haven't really mentioned the forest. It is mostly just a game, but I love how they all believed in it. They were adorable. I loved reading about them all playing. And finding that house in the forest. It was so creepy and sad and it broke my heart to learn the story of it. Oh. Some Kind of Happiness is dark and beautiful. It is full of sadness and hope. I loved reading every moment of it. Finley is the best girl I have ever read about. Also, I very much want a book two.

I'm so thrilled that I was able to read this eARC early. <3 As the book isn't out until May. Should also mention that I want the print ARC version the most. I want it so badly. Do let me know if you don't need yours. Also, I was declined on Edelweiss seven times before they approved me. But I wouldn't give up hope, so I didn't stop requesting. So glad I didn't. Because I got to read it early. And it means the very most. Thank you, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers for letting me read it early. I adored it lots.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one. I just finished a great middle school book too called "Some Kind of Courage" by Dan Gemeinhart about an orphan boy whose only family he has left was his horse who was sold without his knowledge and he is determined to buy it back. What an adventure! Very interesting how he helps others along the way but brought out lots of feelings. I highly recommend it! I also loved this author's first book, "The Honest Truth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you finally got approved! Perseverance works!
    And even happier that you loved it so much! I've requested this one on NG myself!
    Have a wonderful weekend dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like stories with family secrets! Sounds like a good story with great writing!

    Nice review :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. This book sounds so touching! I'm glad it affected you in a good way, C. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I am so happy that you enjoyed this book! I'm passing (I don't like Legrand's books, just not for me), but I am so happy that it lived up to your expectations. Fabulous review, Carina. :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)