Monday, September 1, 2014

Mini Review: Summerfall by Claire Legrand

I finally had the time to read this beauty. And I couldn't stop reading until I had finished it all. Also, it was longer than I had hoped for. Which makes me happy. But at the same time, it was also a whole lot meaner and more heartbreaking than I had thought it would be. Sobs. But also so good. I really loved it.

I read Winterspell a few months back, and I loved it to pieces. And ever since then I have wanted to read Summerfall, which is a prequel novella to Winterspell. Though I was also dreading reading it, since I knew how the story would end. And oh, how it broke my heart. It is so sad. Yet it's such a beautiful story. <3

I will try not to write too much about this novella. I just want to say that I loved it so much. And I adore Claire. She is one of the best people I know of. And her writing is stunning. Simply perfect. Which Summerfall is too. I couldn't have been happier about this novella. But at the same time, I couldn't have been more heartbroken either. Summerfall is told from the point of view of Rinka, who in human years is in her late teens, but in faery years is ninety. Which shocked me a little. But loved it very, very much. I adored getting to know Rinka. She was such an amazing character. Her friend, Garen, I'm unsure about. He loves her. But she feels nothing for him but friendship. In some moments I liked him. In others I hated him. But yeah. I approved of his friendship. There is a bunch of characters in this book. To be honest, they were all awful. Yet I loved reading about them. I got to know so much in this book. And I loved every moment.

Summerfall tells the love story of Rinka and Alban. He is a king. And married. They are the same age. And oh, there is so much happening. It is all so complicated. But I loved the heat and passion between Rinka and Alban. It was very real and sweet too. I wanted them together, so much. But oh. So many awful things are happening. People are tortured. People are betraying. I couldn't help but love every moment of everything. This book was just all kinds of amazing. And I adored the romance. I did.

I will not say much more about this stunning book. Just that I loved it so much. And it broke all parts of me. Claire is awesome. Winterspell is coming out late this month, and I need you all to buy it. You should probably read Summerfall first, but I'm glad I read it afterward. So that I knew how cruel this ending would be. Sobs. But now I want to read Winterspell again. Grrr. I will wait for my hardcovers. <3 Anyway. Summerfall was a stunning book. I'm so glad that I read it. You all need to read it right away.


7 comments:

  1. I really want to read Winterspell. I missed requesting it and have been regretting it ever since. Beautiful review Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be reading Winterspell very very soon! As soon as I finish Lailah (and another two books I have pending) if Heir of Fire doesn't arrive first...
    Summerfall was a fantastic novella and a very complete and heartbreaking story in itself!
    Great review sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carina, looks like a fab book! How about adding your review to the Books You Loved collection over at Carole's Chatter? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wellllll, you know how I felt about Winterspell :D I won't be reading this novella. I loveeee how much you love Winterspell and Summerfall! It's refreshing to see someone enjoy books so much :) Excellent review, Carina!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read Winterspell! The cover is gorgeous and the premise seems really interesting.

    Have you read Legrand's The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls? It's so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure these books are for me, but it means a lot that you love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that it as 121 pages! So much better than some of those stories with 20 pages. I can't wait to read both of them <3

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)