Friday, December 23, 2022

Review: This Appearing House by Ally Malinenko

This cover was too awesome for me not to buy this book. It also sounded creepy and amazing. I was sure I would end up loving it. Finally managed to read it, and I did like it a whole lot. But did not love it, sadly. It was not scary to me. Not at all. But I'm giving it three stars, as it had a lot of heart and I liked the girl so much.

I will not be sharing too much about this book, as I felt that it was a short and easy book to read, and so I do not have that much to write about it. But sharing a few of my thoughts. The writing was mostly good, and I liked getting to know the characters. I did not connect as well as I wanted to, but I liked the story well enough.

This is a book about twelve-year-old Jac. She has now been five years without cancer. Five years healthy. It has not been easy for her. This is the part that I liked about this book, her cancer story. This was sad to read about and I felt like it was written well too. I have been sick myself since I was five years old. Not cancer, but I am still sick, and have been in hospitals so many times since I was little. It sucks. And I liked reading a little about it in this book. Felt like there could have been even more of it all, though. Wish a little that there had been some more details. But I liked it too. Jac lives alone with her mom and I liked getting to know them both. They just moved to their place a few months ago, but she already has a great friend, Hazel. I liked him a whole lot. We get to read a little of their friendship and I liked that very much.

This book tells the story of Jac. About how a huge house suddenly appears at the end of her street. The house does not feel right or look right. She and Hazel are dared to enter this house. Jac does it, and she is so curious about this creepy house. It seems to know her and all her secrets. I suppose all of this was supposed to be creepy and exciting. But I honestly thought it was a little boring. Oops. I wish I had liked it more, but I sadly did not. Some things that happened inside the house were interesting, but wasn't scary.

Though I wish this book had been better, I still liked it. Because it was also about Jac learning new things about herself and her health. Learning to better deal with things. Learning to talk better with her mother. It was not written all that well, this book, but it was good. I think many will love this. This Appearing House was a book with heart and I liked that a lot. I'm glad I gave this one a try. Although, I must be a little more honest, ha. I thought the ending was a bit disappointing. Wanted it to be more fantasy. But was good too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)