Monday, May 31, 2021

Review: Sparrow Rising by Jessica Khoury

I could not have picked a better book to read after a month of not reading at all. This gorgeous thing was everything I wanted it to be. Every kind of perfect. Jessica is such an amazing author and I have adored all of her books. Her writing is incredible and I had no issues with connecting to this story and these characters.

There is so much going on in this book. I loved every moment of it. It was fully awesome. So much fantasy and epic and exciting. Also, evil and a little heartbreaking at times too. Which is just how I like it. The book is told from two point of views, Ellie and Nox. Mostly Ellie, though. And I loved them both beyond words.

This whole world created was beyond thrilling to read about. Oh. First, Jessica drew her own map for this one. Which is stunning. She is fully talented. And the map is awesome. And oh, I badly loved that everyone in this world is born with wings. It's the best. They are all divided into clans. Because they all have different wings. Our main girl, Ellie, is a Sparrow. And our main boy, Nox, is a Crow. And we get to see so many different ones. They all have different strengths and skills. I loved that so very much. Ellie is supposed to become a farmer, like the rest of her clan. Because she is very small, and her wings are shorter. Ever since her parents were killed by a gargol when she was six, leaving her an orphan, she has dreamed of becoming a Goldwing.

Which is sort of like the military of this book. They are what everyone looks up to. The strongest people that protects everyone. And Ellie is determined to be one of them. Even when everyone around her say that is impossible. That Sparrows are not meant to be more than what they are. But she does not listen. There is a race to become a Goldwing. The strongest flyers will win. Ellie has trained for years for it. And it was so amazing to read about her dreams, how she wanted more for herself. She was the best person.

Okay, sure, Ellie did believe a little too much in the goodness of people, but she was honest and true. Mostly. I adored every part of her. And getting to know her was the very best. I shall not write much more about the story. Only that she goes on a journey to get to enter the race, hoping to become what she has always dreamed of. She ends up travelling with three thieves. Nox and Gussie and Twig. They were fully awesome. Despite tricking her into helping them steal something special. I grew to love all three of them.

This book was very much an adventure. Ellie did so much she had never done before. She learned new things about herself and the world. I loved her growing friendship with all three of them. I loved reading about her trying to make her dreams come true. What happened with that was both amazing and fully heartbreaking. Hmph. But I loved it so. I just loved this book to pieces. This world was incredible. The characters were the very best. And I loved the story too. But oh, how I need more now, haha. So good.

I have so many questions after finishing this book. Are the stone gargols that hunt and kill people during cloudy weather and storms actually evil? I mean, sure, they kill. But there must be a reason for why. I blame the Eagle clan, ha. So curious, though. What more can the skystone do? I am so excited to find out. Why is the wingrot a thing, is someone causing it on purpose? Will Ellie manage to change things, to change who is in charge, which most definitely must be changed? I can't wait to know all of these things.

Sparrow Rising was everything I had hoped it would be. Full of adventure and fun and heartbreak. I have always dreamed of flying, so reading about this world where everyone has wings was the best. Though it did make me all kinds of jealous too, haha. There was not a single thing about this book that I didn't love. The characters were the very best. A litttle rude at times, but I loved them so. I only wish to know much more about this world and what will happen next. And so I am beyond thankful that this is a series. Eee.

Huge thank you to Jessica for sending me this ARC to read and love. So thankful to Alyssa for helping me get it to Norway. I shall treasure it always. And cannot wait to get the gorgeous hardcover edition of it in early August too. It will look fully beautiful. As that cover is the very best. Eee. I cannot wait to read this book again, before book two is out. Which I hope will be soon, as I badly need to know what will happen next. So very excited. You all need to read this amazing middle grade book. It is full of heart and courage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)