Thursday, August 27, 2020

Review: The Girl and the Witch's Garden by Erin Bowman

I knew I had to read this one the moment that it was announced. Because I already love this author and her books. And because this book sounded so very amazing and adorable. And the cover is beautiful. Finally had the chance to read it, and I am so happy to say that I very much adored it. Four stars, was almost perfect.

But for the most part this book was very good and I really liked reading about all the characters. The writing was stunning and I had no issues connecting with this story. The magic included in this story was pretty great too. I liked the sort of evil cat the most, haha. And the huge estate the book took place at was amazing.

This book tells the story of twelve-year-old Piper. She was just sent to live with her mother and grandmother. She has not seen her mom since she was smaller, since her mom left her and her dad behind and did not contact them again. But now she has to spend the summer with her. Because Piper's dad have cancer, and is trying his last chance at medicine to save his life. So Piper must stay with her mom. Which she is both excited and nervous about. Then she arrives, and her mom does not want her there. She does not treat her nicely at all. Her grandma is missing. And then she learns that her mom is fostering other children, three others that are all around her age. She left Piper, but is being a mom to others. Not okay. I hated how her mom treated her.

There was so much going on in this book. I shall not say too much about it. This is a story about Piper dealing with her dad maybe dying. About her trying to connect with her mom again. About her becoming friends with some new kids. I liked them all. Teddy the most. He was so kind and sweet. They all were, really. I just wish we had seen more of them all, haha. Wanted this book to be longer. Sigh. But I really liked getting to know Piper. She was adorable and I liked her so very much. Her dad was very great too.

Then there was the magic. Piper arrives at this place where she learns that magic is real. And that some people have a magic power. The kids at this estate all have powers. One who can time bend. One who can teleport. It was pretty great to read about and I liked this version of magic. I liked learning that Piper could do magic too, though she did not know it. Her learning more about it was pretty great too. The kids have a mission they must complete. An elixir that must be found. This part of the story was awesome too.

And ahh, this book has a white persian cat in it. And I loved that the very most. Eee. Because I have a white silver shaded persian cat myself. A little different, but almost the same. And I so adored this cat. Okay, it might have seemed evil for pretty much the whole book, ha, but I adored it even so. There is so much I could write about this book, but will not write down much more. Just that the plot was good and I adored the characters. I wish the book had been longer, that there had been more focus on some things.

The only thing I wish had been different about this book was all the lying. I wish Piper hadn't kept lying to the new kids she started living with. And she just did not stop lying either. I understood her reasons, of course, but they could have helped her. I am certain they would have helped her too. And so it was a bit sad that she felt like she had to lie to them. But I also do not blame her, considering her one best friend since forever just stopped being with her. Hmph. But yeah. Their growing friendships were still so great.

The Girl and the Witch's Garden was a pretty amazing book. Full of magic and growing friendships. And family and learning to let go. About learning to deal more with grief. Although I did not fully love this book, I still adored it so very much. And I am so glad that I read it. I simply adore Erin and have loved many of her books. I cannot wait to read even more by her. It feels like there could be more books after this one. And I very much would want to read more about these characters and their magic. You need to read this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)