Monday, September 16, 2019

Review: Bid My Soul Farewell by Beth Revis

This final book fully messed with my mind. And it was every bit as good as I had hoped it would be. But it also ruined my heart, just as much as I had feared it would. I liked the ending a whole lot. Though I wish it had been a little longer, haha. I really would not have minded a third book. I always want more of what I love.

But this book did not need more. Because it was perfect just the way it was. Fully evil and rude. But so very amazing as well. I so loved every moment of this. Even the moments that made me all kinds of angry at the characters, haha. They were so flawed. But so perfect to me, because of this. I loved both of them to pieces.

There is so much I could share about this book. But I will try not to write too much about it.This book takes place moments after the ending of Give the Dark My Love. Meaning that there will be spoilers about book one. Which you all should have read by now anyway. If not, go read it. Right away. I very much loved that this book did not skip any time. I so liked that it started right after the first book ended. Nedra is alone at the quarantine hospital. With the dead she raised for company. Grey is with the Emperor, staying up at the castle, after his parents fled their home. They are apart, but not for long. Nedra and Grey end up going on a small journey together to the mainland. Which was all kinds of exciting but sad too. I loved it. It was a fun adventure to read about.

There is so much going on in this book. I shall not write too much about it. But gosh. There was so much to get to know. We learn more about the necromancer part of Nedra. About what happen to the dead she raises. About their souls and so much more. It was so sad to read about at times. But so very good too. A little creepy, a little scary. But fully exciting. Reading more about Nedra hurt my heart. But I loved this girl the very most. She has lost so much. Her family. Her home. But she is still alive, despite the pain. Fierce.

And she has her sister with her. Well, her dead body, with her soul trapped in her crucible. And Nedra would do anything to save her sister, to save her soul, to have more time with her. Because her body is there, but empty. Reading about all of the things Nedra did to figure out a way to save her sister was so good. All kinds of sad but good. Nedra was pretty dark. A whole lot of broken. Yet I adored every part of her. She was not truly that bad. She only wanted her sister back. So yeah. I adored every part of Nedra.

Then there was Grey. He was so complicated in this book too. Fully ignorant about how politics around him worked. How he was being used by others. He felt things so very much. He was wrong a lot of times, but I honestly did not think he was wrong about Nedra and her being a necromancer. Because that was all kinds of scary. They had such different opinions. And reading about them somewhat working through it all was so good. Grey was a little dumb at times but gosh how badly I adored him. Sigh. Could not help it.

This book is all about Nedra and Grey. About her dealing with the people she raised from the dead. About them dealing with their feelings for each other and how to live with each other while being so different. Yet they have the same type of heart. Sigh. It tells more about the Emperor and the place they live in. We get to read a little about places away from their island, which was also great. A few new characters too, which were interesting to read about. But this story was mostly about Nedra and Grey. Which I loved very much.

Grey and Nedra are so difficult in this book. I ship them so very much. As they are adorable together. But my gosh, they are such different people. They argue all the time. Grey is very much against Nedra being a necromancer. He does not think it is right. And she is very much for it. So they have some arguments about it. Some big ones, some small ones. But all of this simply made me love them together even more. Because despite their issues they still love each other very much. Sigh. And their love was the very best.

This book told an ending to the story of Nedra the necromancer. And it was an ending that fit this story very well. Nedra was such a complex person. I adored her to pieces. And reading about her was the very best. Her love for her dead sister pretty much ruined me, though. She would do anything to bring Nessie back to her. To bring her soul back to her dead body. We learn so much about everything with that. And it was so very exciting to read about. Nedra goes through so much. I loved her even more because of this.

Bid My Soul Farewell was just the kind of finale I wanted. It was full of danger and romance and a great story. I adored Nedra and Grey so much and I loved getting to know how their story ended. This whole necromancy thing was all kinds of creepy yet so very interesting. I enjoyed every part of this book. And I am so glad that Beth wrote these books. They are heartbreaking at times. But so worth it too. Though, to be honest, I wish this second book had been even longer. It feels like there was more I needed to know.

But I am also okay with not knowing everything. I think. Because this book was all kinds of beautiful and tragic too. It hurt my heart. It hurt my soul. But it healed it too, in a way. Because of how Nedra changed in this book. How she slowly healed herself. Was so good to read about. I was lucky enough to be able to trade for a gorgeous print ARC of this book to read a little early and to add to my most stunning collection of books by Beth. She is such an awesome author and person. You all must read these books right away.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)