Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Review: Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand

This book is beyond precious. I cannot believe it have already been three years since I first read it. And I am so happy I finally decided to read it a second time. Because this book was exactly what I needed right now. It's heartbreaking and fun and beyond adorable. I loved it to pieces, once more. It is simply perfection.

There is so much about this book that I love. I will try my best to share most of it, but not too much. If you have not read this one yet, you are truly missing out. As everything about it is incredible. The writing is stunning. The setting is great. The characters are all the most adorable. I loved every second of this beautiful story.

And I am beyond happy with that. I'm so thrilled with how good this book is and how much I love it. But my gosh, how it ruined my heart too. Because it is all kinds of sad and real and honest. And I felt so connected to everything. It's a depressing story. But full of hope, sweet moments and the most stunning relationships. This book tells the story of eleven year old Finley. And she is the most adorable character. I love her the very most. Finley is a little broken. But so brave and kind and loving. Getting to know her more ruined my heart, as I wanted the best for this girl. Finley have depression. And anxiety. And it's affecting her life so much. She is trying to ignore it all at times. Trying to be happy, to pretend that everything is okay. But it's not. She is not okay. Not truly.

And I loved this girl so much. Because of how sad she is. Because of the blue days she have. Because she is still so brave and sweet and I just wanted to be there for her. She have not yet told her parents or anyone else about what she is going through. The darkness she feels inside of her. And it hurt my heart that she did not have anyone to help her with it. That she had to deal with these feelings alone. But my gosh, how well written it all was. I loved that. So very much. Finley was truly amazing and I adored her.

This book is the story of her having to spend the summer with her grandparents. Whom she have never met before. She has to stay with them for the summer, as her parents need to work through some things. They have not been okay for a while now, which has been affecting Finley too, and that hurt my heart so. This girl deserved more. And the fact that she often thought about how others have it worse than her, that she has no reason to be sad, made me so upset. It is so real, and so sad, and so honest. My poor heart.

But this book is not all about being sad. It is about the weeks Finley spend with her grandparents. And her cousins, whom she have never seen before either. Gretchen is her age, Kennedy a year older, Avery a teenager. And the eight year old twins. All of them ends up becoming so important to Finley. And I loved that so much. They become friends, family. They spend the summer together, having fun, and just getting to know each other. I adored Gretchen, and how she treated Finley. I loved their friendship so very much.

There is so much going on with this story. I will not write much about it. Only sharing a little bit about how much I adored this book. I loved reading about Finley. How she has good days and bad days. How she is trying to deal with everything alone. And how that is not possible as well. I loved that she wrote stories in her notebook all the time. There are parts of this story included, about the Everwood. Which was all kinds of cute. Finley was the best. I loved how she grew to care for her grandparents, despite being so nervous.

What I loved the very most, though, was her growing friendship with a boy living across the river from her grandparents. Jack. He was too cute. And I loved their almost romance. I loved how he made her laugh. How they spent time together. Finley and her cousins and Jack and his brothers. They were beyond cute together. But they were not allowed to spend any time together by the grandparents. It was forbidden. As this book had a secret. A family secret. And a pretty big one. And a mystery too, which I liked very much.

This book is about Finley. And her learning more about herself. Her finding new friends, new family. And it is also about her solving a mystery. About why her dad left his family behind all those years ago. About a mysterious burned house in the woods. About why they are not allowed to spend any time with the boys across the river. This secret was all kinds of big. And beyond heartbreaking. But interesting and exciting and so good too. And written very well. I loved figuring it all out again. Sigh. It is such an incredible book.

Every part of this book ruined me a little. I am so glad that I decided to read it again, finally. Because this book is so precious to me. It is so good and rude and heartbreaking and I love it the very most. This is a book that I feel everyone must read. Especially if you have ever been sad or worried. I feel like this book will help. I love that Claire wrote it. It is honest and real. Sad, but hopeful. Some Kind of Happiness is a perfect book. And I love it more than I can say. As I do with every book written by Claire. She is the best.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, this book review is a gem! 📚💎 Thanks for sharing the recommendation. I've been on the lookout for a new read, and "Some Kind of Happiness" sounds like an emotional rollercoaster worth taking.
    Happiness Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)