Saturday, October 18, 2014

Review: The Body Electric by Beth Revis

I don't know how to feel about this book. I loved it to pieces, like I knew I would, but I'm also feeling this small ache in my heart. The Body Electric is a five star for me. Because it was so so amazing and I loved it so much. There is just this one part that is hurting my heart and I'm not sure how to deal with it.

So I will start by mentioning all the things that made this book perfect. And there are a lot of them. First there is the gorgeous cover made by Hafsah, whom is also all kinds of awesome. This cover. Sigh. It is stunning. And gorgeous in person. And all the special swag I got. Dies. All of the artwork is just so perfect.

Then there is the amazing author, Beth. I loved her other books, beginning with Across the Universe. And then I just adore her. She's so awesome on twitter and yeah. All kinds of cute. I also met her for a short moment two years ago, at Ascendio, which was one of the best moments of my life. Anyway. Beth is awesome. And I love the way she tells a story. And I love her writing. And yeah. I just cannot wait to read everything that she writes. Back to this book, though. Sigh. I cannot. It was just so good. I loved it so so much. I wasn't planning on reading it so fast, but damn, it was SO EXCITING. I could not stop. Not even for short moments. And I'm so glad I read it right away. As I've waited so long for this book already, hih. And the wait was worth it. Truly. Yeah, I wanted more of one thing, but I also got so much from this book. <3

I'm not sure where to begin to talk about The Body Electric. There is so much happening in this book. So many things that confused me a little, but then made so much sense, and broke my heart to pieces. There are a lot of sad parts in this book. And they are all written so well. But there are also a few sweet parts as well. Sniffs. And they are stunning too. The book is not focused on the romance, sad face, lol, but that's okay. Because the plot is all kinds of exciting and so interesting to read about. Just, so good.

The Body Electric is told from the point of view of Ella. Whom I adored to pieces. She is from Malta. Though a few hundred years into the future. And things are different. And it is all so interesting to read about and I just adore the way Beth tells a story. I loved that their town is built on a huge bridge, so many meters above the ocean. It was creepy and interesting and I would love to see it in real life. Sigh. One day, maybe. I loved the details about this future. So interesting and awesomely made. I loved it.

Anyway. Back to Ella. Whom is all kinds of amazing. I just loved reading from her point of view. And getting to know her. And how she lives. With her mom who is sick and dying. With her dad being dead, aka murdered. With them working at a memory spa kind of thing. And oh. It is just all so interesting to read about and I loved getting to know it all. I loved getting to know the different characters. Some creeped me out. Some I weren't sure about at all. But I loved reading about every one of them.

There is also Jack. Sigh. Whom claims to know Ella. That they were dating for a year. Yet she cannot remember a single thing about him. AND GAH. It killed me. It was so beautifully done. And so damn heartbreaking. My heart is still breaking for Jack. He lost his parents as well. Then Ella for more than a year. And oh. It just hurts. Yet so well done too. I do wish there had been more romance. I truly do. But I also liked that there was just a small part of it. And it is pretty beautiful, that small part. Sniffs.

I will not say all that much about the plot. But there are some things. I loved reading about the Reverie. How it works. How you can relive your memories. And how that can be controlled too. There are so many surprises about it. And I loved getting to know it all. This book surprised me so much. And it was all so exciting. I could not stop reading. I did not want to. But at the same time I did not want to finish. Because I did not want this perfect book to be over. Hmph. How mean for it to end so soon for me, lol.

I almost forgot to add this one part. But I cannot not say it. There is one part in the book I did not see coming at all. Something with Ella. And it is so mean. Yet so awesome. And so perfect. And so cruel. And my heart. Hurts! I cannot. It was so clever too. I did not see it coming. And it hurt me. And it made me worry so much and ack. Yet it was so exciting and I loved it so much. Sigh. Ella was just all kinds of amazing. And Jack. And just everything. I just loved The Body Electric to pieces. <3 It was the best.

There is so much I could say about The Body Electric. I have said most of it. Now I will just say that this book is perfect. It is surprising and exciting. It is scary and creepy too. The bees. Shudders. But mostly The Body Electric is a book that everyone needs to read. It is just so good. And I need you all to read it. Right away. It is worth the small heartache when finishing. Because it is perfect. I'm so glad that I read this book. Sniffs. Though, yeah. I really, really want more. More of Ella. More of Jack. I have hope. <3

"Science can make a heart beat," Jack says softly, 
each word falling on me like a caress. "But it can't make it race."


6 comments:

  1. I've just recently found out about this book. I can't believe you've read it already! When is this out? I'm so glad it's a five-star read for you, hun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super curious to read Beth Revis' new book! I really liked Across the Universe, and wow this one seems really good. "surprising, exciting, creepy", those are all words I love to hear about a book. :)

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book wasn't really on my radar, but this is the second glowing review I've seen today about it, so I'm very intrigued. Thanks for reviewing this one! I don't mind light romance if the plot is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, yay! I'm so glad you loved this! I need to get myself a copy soon (and also finish the Across the Universe books, probably reread the first too!), since it sounds so good and people are loving it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Carina! I think my heart would definitely be hurting for Jack since Ella doesn't remember him. That's always a difficult romance trope for me. And now I'm really curious about what this twist is that hurt you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have started this one, but I'm not very far along and I cannot wait to sit and read my lovely signed copy!!! =D

    Fantastic review sweetie, I cannot wait to read this one even more!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)