Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Review: The Cavendish Home For Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand

I learned of this book many months ago. And I have wanted it ever since. I should also mention that I adore the author; Claire. She is awesome. I've just been waiting for the release date to come, and for my book to arrive. I must admit that I didn't research the book very much before it got here, just the summary and cover. Because when I really really want something, I want it right away, and I have no patience to wait months (A) But Cavendish finally arrived today. And I started it right away. Also? Gorgeous cover.

Must say that it is just as perfect as I had imagined it would be. But it was also so much more than I ever thought it would be. It is freaking creepy. And scary. And awful. It is beyond perfect. The whole book is perfect. I just wanted more and more and more. Never wanted it to end. Also! It's supposed to be a middle grade book? I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to read it when I was younger.. but I loved that the main characters were just 12. It was perfect. But, yeah, this book has a more grown-up feeling to it. That was really good, though :D And it is still middle grade. <3 Just different.

At first the writing sort of confused me for a moment. I mean, the writing is perfect. There were just a whole lot of things to get used to in the beginning. But after less than ten pages, I was used to it all, and I adored the writing. :) Although, in the beginning of the book I kind of hated the main character, Victoria. Really disliked her. She was such a brat. And, well, she kind of still is at the end. But she is a whole lot better, and I liked that very much. She changes a lot in this book. Well, a little, at least :D

Victoria likes for things to be in order. And I do get that. Because I'm somewhat like that too. Just not as crazy, lol. She's just twelve, but she feels so grown up at times. At other times, though, she's such a child. Which was nice. She is the best. The best at home, the best in school. At the top of her class. And she enjoys that. It's what she wants from her life. And I kind of loved her because of that, I didn't mind her being like that. Just didn't like the way she was with other people. Like Lawrence.

You see, I loved Lawrence. He's there in the beginning, but then he's missing for a bit. And I missed him so much. But everything we got to see about him just made me love him so. It isn't possible to read this book and not adore Lawrence. He is different, but so perfect. He's a disaster. And I loved it. He also plays the piano, which I loved. Lawrence was just perfect. But gah. I HATED how Victoria treated him in the beginning. She was cruel. And I did not like it one bit. But it got better. <3

And even though I didn't approve much of how Victoria treated Lawrence in the beginning, I still loved their friendship. Adored it. And wished they had been older so that it could have been a romance (A) Hih. But it sort of was. In a weird way. I at least saw some feelings. And I loved that so much. Anyway. Other awesome characters: Mr. Tibbalt and his dog. They were awesome. Mr. Tibbalt is an old man, but he plays a big part in this book. As do his dog. I really enjoyed reading about them :)

There is a lot of children in this book. But I won't say much about them. But there are many of them that I liked ;) Some I disliked a whole lot. But they all needed to be in this book. Everyone did. Then there was Mr. Alice and Mrs. Cavendish. Mr. Alice was freaking creepy. I did not like him one bit. But god. He was so awesome. I mean, awful and horrible and scary. But I loved his parts in this book. Made it so much more exciting and scary and just really amazing. Then there was Mrs. Cavendish.

I'm not sure how to describe her. I won't spoil anything. Really won't. But holy crap. She is so bad. So awful. And creepy. And goddamn scary. I mean, first she's nice. So that's a bit confusing, lol. But ugh. That don't last... and I won't say more than that :D Mrs. Cavendish is the woman who owns and runs The Cavendish Home For Boys and Girls. And we will get to know a whole lot about that place. Too much. Way too much. It is so scary. And awful. So many horrible things. I loved every page of it.

Anyway. Back to the plot of this book. I won't say much. Because I don't want to spoil any of the amazing things happening in this book. But I will say a few things. As you can read from the summary, Lawrence disappears. And I really hated how long time went after that. Grrrr. But anyway. Victoria goes searching for him. And she finds out so many weird things that are happening in her town. And it is so exciting to read about. I could not stop reading this book. It was so perfect.

Lawrence going missing is what starts the sort of adventure in this book. And I kind of loved that. I wish I could talk about it all. Everything that happens in the Home and just about everything.. but I won't :D Because you really need to read this book. I mean it. Go get it right now! The Cavendish Home For Boys and Girls will suck you right in. And I promise you that you will love it. It is perfect. Even if you don't read MG books you will still love this one. Promise.

This book freaked me out so much. It really did. So many awful things happen in this book. There are deaths. And torture. Mild torture. And even though it was so awful to read about, I just wanted to read more and more and more. I loved every page in this book. The mystery is huge. And it is so interesting to read about. You will all love it. Like I did. Then there is the epilogue. Won't spoil it, but god. I loved the last two pages so much. They were perfect. Made me think there MUST be a sequel.

You hear me, Claire? You must write a sequel. <3 I need one. I need to know what happens next. I really do. Because the epilogue is perfect. I need to know. It is perfect, but it is also kind of horrible. So yeah. I need a sequel Claire! Pretty please? <3 hih :) Really hoping there will be one. Soon. Sigh. This book was just perfect. Every page was perfect. So glad I read it :) I also kind of want to re-read it right away. But I can't do that.. but I will, very soon, I think. So, go buy it, people! <3

I forgot about the bugs! How could I forget about the bugs? Ugh. Must be because it's getting late, and I'm tired. Sorry about that. Anyway. The bugs in this book are so well done. They are so awful. And they made me itch all over. I hate bugs. (But I kind of adore the Cavendish bug I won from Claire months ago.) The bugs are a big part of this book. And I loved that a whole lot. But they are also really horrible and creepy and disgusting and mean. But I still loved them ;p

I also forgot to mention that The Cavendish Home For Boys and Girls reminded me a lot of the movie Coraline. Only, Cavendish was a lot better. <3 I'm actually glad it reminded me of that movie, because it made it easier for me to picture some things in the book :) I don't think I have ever read a book like this before. And that is a good thing. Because this book is unique, and it is so perfect. I just loved The Cavendish Home For Boys and Girls a whole lot :)

Goodreads - Buy it

Update: Newer and better review of the book can be found here.

7 comments:

  1. I think it's a really good sign when an author can make you miss a character while you're still reading the book or make you continue reading the book even though you slightly dislike the main character! Thanks for the review :)
    Juli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. That it is <3 Sigh. I adored this book.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh I feel all itchy now thinking about bugs! :P This book sounds fantastic, but you know what I'm like with younger novels. Still, the cover is gorgeous and I've been hearing good things about this book... so maybe I'll convince myself to buy a copy. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it, Carina! Wonderful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hih, yeah, it should make you itchy ;) lol :D Yeah, I know. But like I mentioned, this doesn't feel like a middle grade book at all. And that is really awesome :) It really is a perfect book; and I really think you would love it :D <3 Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. i\m mad . i was not that interested and your glowing review made me want it!!!!! tnx 4 the review .

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was so sad once it was over, but there are two books that are simular if you want something like this
    Coraline and Behind the bookcase

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)