Saturday, August 11, 2012

Book Recommendation: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake


I just finished re-reading this perfect book. Cannot believe it's been almost a whole year since I first read it. Anna Dressed in Blood is one of the best books there is. It is so damn good. First, the cover. You cannot look at it and tell me it isn't perfect. Because it is. One of the best covers ever. Probably the best. I love everything about it; the girl, the hair, the dress, the house, the blood. Even the cracks.

There isn't a single thing about this book that I didn't like. Not one thing. By looking at the cover, you would think it would be written from a girl's point of view. It isn't. This is Cas's book. And I loved that. But it centers around Anna. And I loved that even more. First we get to know Cas. And we get to see him getting new friends. And it is all so perfect. I liked the beginning of this book a whole lot.

You see, the thing about Cas is that he hunts ghosts. Kind of. He finds them, and kills them again. Because most ghosts are out there killing other people. They don't feel much or know much. And I loved the first chapter; were we got to see him hunting. That was awesome. Cas kills with his athame. And I loved that. About his dad. Sigh. And I loved his mom. And their cat; Tybalt. He has a perfect family.

Except, of course, for the fact that his dad is dead. Was killed when Cas was just seven. And gah. He was killed in such an awful way. And now Cas is trying to find the ghost who killed him; to avenge him. And I adored that. Even though it is a bit fucked up. But it is done so well. Cas is a perfect character. Sweet, kind and broken. Just my kind of boy. And I just loved him at all times. He's 17.

This book starts out with Cas going on another ghost hunt. He got a tip about Anna Dressed in Blood. A sixteen year old dead girl with a dress stained with blood killing lots of people. That was a really awesome plot idea. :) Cas is interested in her, and he's not sure why. He just gets the feeling something is different about this ghost. And he is right. Anna isn't anything like other ghosts. She is different.

At first, different is bad. She kills a whole lot of people. Anyone who enters her home. Anna Korlov died in 1958, so she's had a lot of time to kill. And I won't spoil the plot of this book. Cause things go really awesome from there. I loved getting to see Anna's back story. The way she died. It was gruesome and awful and I loved every second of it. Cause this really is a horror book. But not only that.

Anna Dressed in Blood is also a romance. Well, okay, not a big romance book. But there is some. And I loved every second of it. Cas really fit well with the girl of his interest. <3 Hih. Won't say. :) Anyway. About the other characters. There is Thomas, who becomes Cas's best friend. He seemed a bit weird at first, but I really ended up loving him. He was loyal and kind and so sweet. I adored him.

Then there was Carmel. I wasn't sure about how to feel for her. At first I didn't like her much; because it seemed she would be the love interest. But she wasn't. And after that I loved her a lot. She and Thomas fit so well together. It was really sweet to see. :) But there were also many characters in this book that I hated. But I also loved that they were a part of this book; because it made it even better.

There is so many things happening in Anna Dressed in Blood. I loved every scene including Anna. She was the best character, I think. But I also loved Cas just as much. So I'm conflicted ;p This book is amazing. There is a lot of death, brutal ones, and there was one I really hated near the end. *Sobs.* But I also understood why it happened; cause it did make a lot of sense. There is romance. So sweet. And lots of action. Plus, the writing is perfect. I loved the "voice" of Cas. It was perfect.

I'm not sure what else to say about this book to convince you all to read it. You just need to read it! Beccause it is perfect. The action is perfect. And it all makes sense; even though it is about ghosts and such. I really loved it. Cause it's unique, and so well done. Thank you, Kendare, for writing this perfect book. <3 I cannot wait to get started on the sequel; Girl of Nightmares. :) Anyway. READ IT!

3 comments:

  1. I loved Cas's voice too. He was such a great protagonist! Characters like him make male point of views worthwhile. I enjoyed this book a lot too and can't wait to read the sequel now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your review, this is a must read. Especially if you love the Supernatural TV series. I can't wait to read Girl of Nightmares.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)