Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Review: Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

I had forgotten how very much I loved this book. And so reading it again now was the very best thing. It held me captive from start to finish. I simply loved every moment of it. Sigh. I loved it the most when I read it last year, and I loved it even more this second time. It completely ruined my heart. I simply couldn't have loved it more.

Writing down my thoughts about this book a second time will not be easy. I will try not to share too much, haha. Although I already have trouble finding the words. This book was just what I needed right now. I'm so glad I finally decided to re-read it. Because it was everything for me. Beautiful and heartbreaking. Exciting and evil.

The writing is perfection, which I'm so happy about. There was not a single thing I did not like about this. I had forgotten how much it hurt me, though. How sad it made me at times. But my gosh, how good that was. Because it was also full of hope and such beautiful relationships. Everything was written so well and I felt so much for this book. The characters pretty much killed me. My love for them all will never end. I felt so conflicted about certain parts of it, same as Eelyn. And I loved it so much. Sigh. I mean. I knew I loved this one last year. I remembered most of it. And at the same time I had completely forgotten how very good it was. Sigh. I need to read it again pretty soon, I think. So precious. I can't even begin to say how thrilled I am that I loved it so much this time too.

This book tells the story of Eelyn. It is a story set in the time of the Vikings. Set in a world of warriors who fight to the death every five years. They are two clans that fight each other; which they have done for so many years. They are the biggest of enemies. Because of something that happened with their gods ages ago. Eelyn lives with one of these clans, the Aska. Getting to know Eelyn and her life was the best thing. She was so interesting and exciting and I also adored her best friend and her father. Both were awesome.

Eelyn was such a precious character to me. Probably because of how much pain she was in through this whole book. The book starts with the clans fighting. With Eelyn seeing the face of her dead brother, whom she saw die five years before. Except he isn't dead. And hours later she sees him again. But this time she follows him, and ends up being captured by the Riki, the clan they are fighting against. They cannot know that Iri is her brother. And so she gets treated as a captive. Which include being sold, to be used for labor.

And reading all of this pretty much broke my heart. It hurt so badly to read about everything that Eelyn went through. It was so painful. Yet so good too. She gets to see her brother again. While also being a captive by the enemy clan. Which, for her, is so not a good thing. Though her brother now feels like he belongs to them, and not his own family. This betrayal almost ruins Eelyn. And me too. I still don't really forgive him. Okay, yes, I do see why he did everything he did. But even so. It will always hurt my heart.

Eelyn goes through so much in this book. Although it only takes place in a few short weeks. But those weeks were enough to change her. She was a fierce warrior, never broken. And after being taken captive she has been almost broken several times. It hurt so badly to read about. But, thankfully, it was not truly horrible either. It could have been so much worse. But Eelyn ended up with Iri's found family. Staying with his new brother, Fiske. And his mother and little brother. Whom I loved beyond words. Gosh. So precious.

These characters meant so much to me. Fiske ruined my heart. He and Eelyn started out as enemies. Then slowly they turn into something more. It happens so slow. But so perfect. And though they seem to be so different, they are perfect for each other. And I shipped them more than I can say. Sigh. Romance was perfect. Not rushed, not silly, no drama. Just. Perfect. Fiske was such an interesting character to get to know. And I loved him the very most. His family was the cutest too, and I adored getting to know them.

There is so much about this book that I loved. So much that I could write about. But I already feel like I have written down too much. Yet not nearly enough. But I will stop now. Because all I really want to say is that I loved this book beyond words. Everything about it was perfect. The story, the writing, the romance, the friendships. This whole book was complicated. Hurtful at times. But had such an amazing ending. And though it hurt my heart so many times, I was always happy while reading it. Because it was just so good.

If you have still not read Sky in the Deep you are seriously missing out. It is not a book to be missed. It is a book that must be read and loved. Then read again and again. These characters will break open your heart and move inside of it. And you will love them for it. Sigh. It is so heartbreaking at times. So sad and evil. But so full of hope and happiness and gosh. My love for this book will never end. So excited to read the companion book, The Girl the Sea Gave Back, next. It will be perfect, I just know it. And I cannot wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)