Sunday, August 16, 2026

Review: Bing's Cherries by Livia Blackburne & Julia Kuo

Of course I could not resist reading another picture book by Livia. What I enjoy most about her picture books is that they tell true stories about Chinese American immigrants. Stories about people I have not heard about before, but that I'm now happy to have gotten to know a little bit. Bing seemed great. 

The author and illustrator notes at the back are always great. As it also shares a little more about the real person, but also about Livia and Julia, which I loved. The picture book was so fast and easy to read. I liked the story a lot. The artwork was also gorgeous. This book is ending up as a four star for me.

Because while I did like this story a whole bunch, I felt like the artwork lacked a little bit. I do wish there had been more colors. I may have been a bit weirded out by the hairstyle of Bing, haha. But I also found the art to be so very pretty and it is full of details. So my issues are not big. The text from Livia fit well with the art from Julia. Although, yes, I do wish it had been longer. Oops. But I do guess that is the point of picture books. They are supposed to be so short. I also felt like the story was told well enough. I got to know Bing and how he came to Oregon and planted his cherries. I will say that I found his story to be heartbreaking. He left behind a wife and seven adopted sons. And it took him thirty years to return home. Oh. Fully sad.

Bing's Cherries was a well written and greatly illustrated story about Ah Bing. I loved that it was a true story about his life. Well, mostly. It came from the thoughts of a little girl, so some details were not right. But it was fully adorable. I liked that Bing was tall. I do wish the story had been longer and the artwork had been more colorful. But I also liked the story the way it was too. And I am glad that I read it. I think young children may adore this too. And I will, as always, read more books by Livia and artwork by Julia.

Goodreads - Blackwells - Amazon US - Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)