Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Review: Invictus by Ryan Graudin

This book just about killed me. I enjoyed it oh so very much. The writing was so gorgeous, which I loved the most. I haven't read every book by Ryan just yet, but I have read and loved her latest duology. I will read more by her soon. I think I loved this book so much because of how amazing the characters were.

I just loved them all the very most. And this story was pretty amazing too. I'm giving the book a four star, as there were a few very small things that bothered me a little. For the most part, though, I loved everything about this book. I even liked that horribly evil ending. What. Did not think I would. But I did.

I don't know where to begin with describing this precious book. Because I enjoyed every moment of it oh so much. I think one of the reasons for why I loved these characters so much was because they were all good, lol. I usually love bad characters a lot, but these weren't bad at all. And they were so interesting and lovable and I just adored them all to pieces. I loved getting to know them. I loved reading about the things they had done together and how they were all awesome friends. This book isn't told from only one point of view, but is instead a little bit from each of the five main characters. While I don't usually like so many point of views, I didn't mind at all in this book. Because I adored them all. And I was so curious to know about everything.

I would say that I loved Far and Priya the very most. But Imogen and Gram and Eliot were all awesome to read about too. At first I was unsure about Eliot, because she was a bit rude and evil and clever, but she ended up being all kinds of interesting and I couldn't help but love her too. But yes. Far. Oh, how I adored that boy. The book begins with him, and describes how he's taking his final test, about to become a time traveler in this world he lives in. And it was all so interesting to read about. The test thingy was exciting.

And this boy was simply the best. I loved getting to know him. He was awesome in the beginning of this book. It broke my heart when he failed his final test. This boy was simply the cutest and kindest and he deserved the very best. He failed, but he got an offer from a different person, an offer to steal important things from the past and bring them to the present. He would also get to be captain of the ship and decide his own crew. I liked all of that a whole lot. And then suddenly there is a time jump of eleven months. Ack.

At first that bothered me a little bit. But then I didn't mind at all, because I very much loved that all the characters had moved forward so much, because they had to, to make the plot work. And what I loved the very most was that Far and Priya was already a couple after these eleven months. And just oh. This romance was all kinds of cute and oh god how I loved these two characters together. I only feel a bit sad, as I wanted more sweet and awesome and hot moments between them. Hmph. Still, they were the best.

The crew of this time traveling ship named Invictus is only four people. Far and Priya. And Imogen and Gram. And oh gosh, how I adored Imogen. She was beyond adorable and I simply loved her so much. Getting to know her was awesome. And eee, I shipped her and Gram so much. Felt like I didn't get to know him too much, aw, but still adored him too. He was awesome. And oh, I wanted these two together. Hmph. There is also a pet red panda, which was all kinds of cute. This crew was the very best to know.

This book is about time travel. And it takes place in the far future. And everything about this whole plot was exciting. And interesting. And oh so evil at times. Like that huge plot twist around the middle of the book. And then there was Eliot. A girl who suddenly showed up while they were stealing something. A girl who messes things up for them. But also a girl they slowly start to like, after a bit of time. Eliot was a lot of complicated. But I couldn't help starting to care for her too. I did like her a lot. And felt sorry for her too.

Not going to say much more about this book. Just that there is time travel. And a mystery about Far's mother. And a mystery about who Eliot is. Which ended up breaking my heart a bit. Sniffs. That ending was so rude and evil yet so perfect too. I couldn't help but enjoy it. But, well. I do want a sequel to this book. Like a lot. I want more of these characters and their life. Don't want to say goodbye just yet. Aw. And also, this book made me almost-cry a whole bunch of times, which was just the very rudest. Hmph.

I'm so glad that I read Invictus just now. I mean, it's out in a week, and I'm getting finished copies of it, but I couldn't not read the eARC that I got from Netgalley, when it was a read now option. I wish I had read it when I got it, many weeks ago. But I worried that I wouldn't enjoy it. I was wrong, though. Because I loved this book. Invictus was simply amazing. It's full of adventure and action and oh so lovely characters. The space and time travel and everything was so exciting. You should all read this lovely book. It is worth it.


7 comments:

  1. I'm really interested in this one and already added it to my to-read list. I typically wait for more to be out in a series so it'll probably be a while before I can get to it. So glad to see that you liked it. Great review!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie :D This book is a standalone, though. <3

      Delete
  2. Sounds awesome! Adding this one straight onto the wish list :) And yay for standalones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! I was worried about this one because I heard disappointing things about the ending of her duology but since this is a standalone I might give it a try.

    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

  4. Scribd gives you access to everything worth reading — the best books, audiobooks, news, magazines, documents, and more. We make it easy for you to stay informed, discover new passions, and feed your curiosity. No matter what you’re looking for, Scribd is the only reading app you need.

    Read FREE for 30 days with Scribd and cancel anytime!
    Your free offer is here! : http://mrgifts.us/Scribd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this book except for the bad ending. I need a happy ending. Glad you loved it so much even with the ending. Wonderful review, Carina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you loved this book so much! I haven't read anything by this author- but sounds like I should. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)