Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Review: Foxheart by Claire Legrand

It has been four years since I first read this book. Now, finally, I have gotten to read this again. To get ready for my eARC of the companion book, Thornlight. Eee. Very excited. Re-reading this book was the very best. I loved it so much back then. And I loved it even more now. It was such a beautiful and perfect story. Sigh.

As always, the writing by Claire is perfection. I have loved all of her books, always. And I cannot wait to read even more by her. Reading this book again was so very good. I had forgotten much of it. But not how badly I loved it. So happy that I still very much loved this book. So heartbreaking. But so stunning and exciting.

There is so much I wish to share about this book. I shall try to contain myself. Ha. Which will be hard. As I loved this one so very much. Sigh. This book tells the story of twelve year old Quicksilver. At age three, her parents left her at a convent. She never knew why, or what happened to them. She grew up at this place with a lot of other girls. She never told the nuns her real name. Even with how often they tried making her tell them. And so they started calling her Girl. Which was so rude and heartbreaking to read about. But even worse was when she got a little older. And another girl started calling her Pig. And Witch. And then Pigwitchgirl. She was so cruel. It broke my heart. Rude. But Quicksilver was so strong. She got revenge a bunch of times.

Quicksilver ends up having to escape the convent. As she witnesses someone hurting one of the nuns. She runs away, while hearing the rest of the girls screaming. She arrives in a nearby town. Where she meets a boy named Sly Boots. This is where she names herself. She tells him her name is Quicksilver. And so that is her name. And I loved that. I loved how she named herself, and how awesome that name was. She has not been all alone, though. She had a dog. Whom she named Fox. He was the cutest thing.

The day after she meets Sly Boots, they are watching the market, waiting to steal things to help his poor parents whom are ill. A stranger arrives. Whom turns out to be an older Quicksilver. With an older Fox by her side. This old woman time travels them all away, several hundred years into the past. Which is where this story truly begins. This is a story of witches. Of a Wolf King hunting them all down. Of seven old ones controlling him, trying to find the missing bones of their monsters. And oh, it was all so very exciting. Eee.

There is so much to say about this book. I shall not say too much. Just that the plot was fully amazing. I loved the witches and all the spells. I loved how Fox changed when they arrived in the past. I loved how alone and broken Quicksilver was at times. How she slowly let the old woman and Sly Boots get closer to her. I loved how heartbreaking this book was too. So many bad things happen. It broke my heart. I loved every moment of it. I simply can't mention all the things about this book that I loved. There was too much.

I had forgotten much about Sly Boots and Quicksilver. How they argued so much. How he betrayed them at one point. It was fully heartbreaking to read about. I was so angry with him. Yet did not want to be, as I loved their friendship the very most. And, of course, wanted them to be more than friends. Ha. They were just too cute together. But yeah. There were fighting. And bad things spoken between them. And it was all so very real and so very well written. I loved how they got through it too. They both grew a lot as people.

I am also a little angry at the moment. I saw that this book has few reviews on Goodreads. And that is simply not okay. Why haven't more people read this book? I hope this means that a lot of kids have read it. Because they very much should. Everyone else must too. Claire writes the most perfect heartbreaking books. And they are all a must read. All of her books are precious. And I need this one to get read more. Especially now that Thornlight is coming out too. They are stand-alones, but should still be read together.

Foxheart was still everything I wanted it to be and so much more. It was perfect to me four years ago, and it is still so today. I have been a fan of Claire since her first book. And that will never change. Claire writes the most perfect books. Full of adventure and action. Heartbreak and friendships and love. She writes the best girls. Broken and strong. Re-reading Foxheart was a must for me. And I am so glad that I did so. As this book only got better for me. I can't wait to read Thornlight next. You all really need to read Foxheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)