Monday, November 27, 2017

Review: There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins

I simply couldn't not get this when I saw that awesome cover and read the summary. It sounded like such an amazing thriller story. And so I was pretty excited to finally start this book now. But ah, I ended up being pretty disappointed about this book. There were parts of the book that I enjoyed a whole lot, but it wasn't enough.

My biggest issue with this book was the writing. I couldn't stand it. It bothered me from start to finish. I sadly never got used to it, or started to like it. And so it was even more difficult to enjoy this story. Not sure how to describe it, just that it was not well enough written at all. I never felt connected to the characters or the story.

I thought this book would be all about murders. With characters getting killed often, in brutal ways, and them all trying to find the killer, with it being possible that it could be anyone. It was sort of like that. But then again, not. It focused way more on the main girl, and her relationship with a boy. I actually liked the romance. But yeah, I wanted this to be a thriller book. Sigh. There are point of views from all the characters that end up getting killed, just a few pages. Sadly they weren't thrilling at all. Probably because of how I didn't like the writing. I did not feel scared, and I need to feel scared in a good thriller. Hmph. All the murders are done pretty brutally. It was not good enough for me to feel creeped out, or feel scared by it. There were a few exciting scenes, sure.

But then again, most scenes were not. And that is why I am disappointed by this book. I liked the few exciting scenes there was. And I liked most of the romance. But the writing bothered me so much. And I had issues with Makani's friends. And I even had issues with the killer. Like, how did this person have the strength to kill all those teenagers, and in such brutal ways? It didn't make a whole lot of sense. And I'm not sure I liked that ending at all. A little rushed, and could have used at least twenty more pages. Hmph.

But anyway. I'm going to talk about some of the things that I enjoyed about this book. It's a story about a girl named Makani. She's half hawaiian and half black. Which I loved a whole bunch. She moved from her home in Hawaii about a year ago, to live with her grandmother in a small town in America. I liked reading about Makani a whole lot. She has a secret past. And while I found that past to be incredibly weird and not exciting, I still liked reading about the girl. She was sweet and pretty fierce. I pretty much adored her.

But I adored her grandmother a whole lot more. She was very awesome. And I simply adored reading about her. Makani has two best friends, Darby and Alex. And ugh, I am not sure how to feel about these two girls. They were interesting to read about, and they could be great friends too. But they were also too quick to judge this one person, and I couldn't help but really dislike them for that. It bothered me. Even so, they were being good friends, despite that. Sometimes. I just could not make myself love them. Shrugs.

Then there was the boy. Because most of this book is about Makani and a boy. Aka Ollie. And oh, I did love this boy a whole bunch. He was awesome. And I loved getting to know him. And I adored reading about him and Makani together. But there was another reason for why I did not love this. The swoony scenes had no swoon. So disappointing. Makani and Ollie had a past that happened in the summer that just pissed me off. I just wish there had been more swoon. Could have been written lots better. Sad face.

But anyway. Enough about all of that. This book was supposed to be about a bunch of murders. And it was. There are a lot of teenagers in their school getting killed. And some parts of it were a bit freaky, but yeah, I wish it had been written better, so that I could have loved it more. Aw. But even so. There were parts of this book I liked a lot. Only wishing it had been better. And so I'm giving There's Someone Inside Your House two stars. It wasn't perfect. But I liked parts of it. Think I would recommend reading it, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)