Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review: Born of Illusion by Teri Brown

I had been meaning to read Born of Illusion for a few weeks now. I first heard of it because Cat Winters told me to read it and so I knew I would love it. And then I got a finished paperback for review from HarperCollins International, which made me so happy. Today I finally started this book, and I just had to finish it right away. Born of Illusion was amazing.

I don't really know how to describe this book. I don't want to talk too much about it or give too much away. But oh. I loved it so much. First I loved the writing, which was a huge plus. I love it when I love the writing in a book. Sigh. I also really adore the cover. And then I loved the main character. Anna is amazing. And the rest of the characters too. They are so awesome.

The book is told from the point of view of Anna. Who is an amazing girl. I adored her so much. Okay, I might have been a bit sad about how much she loved her mother, whom I didn't like very much at all. I sort of understood her by the ending. Maybe. But I still didn't like her. But even so. Anna is a good person. Born of Illusion is a book about magic. Magic shows, séances, real and fraud. It was all really interesting to read about. There is Houdini too. The books is set in 1920, which I loved. Love that time frame.

There is a lot of things happening in this book. And I don't feel like giving it all away. But you should know that there is a lot of magic, yet I might have wanted even more. There are some betrayals. A bit of heartbreak. But also some happy moments that I loved so much. Swoon. The writing is just so good. I just could not stop reading and loving this. I'm at a loss for words. Probably won't be a long review. But that's okay. I just need to share how much I love it. And how much I loved the characters :D

As I said, I loved reading about Anna. Not her mother. Though she was interesting. I loved their manager a bit, though. Mostly near the end. But he was pretty awesome. And oh. Anna's neighbor was awesome. This old man and I loved him so much. Wish we had seen more of him. Anyway. Loved reading about Anna's magic. The things she could do. Not saying more than that. Because I loved reading about the plot in this book and I think all of you will too. There are lots of surprises.

One character that I really loved was Cole. He was just perfect. Sigh. He seemed a bit weird a few times yet to me it was a bit adorable. He is the love interest, for the most part. Anna really likes him. And I so understood that. He's an amazing character and I loved getting to know him. Wish we had gotten to know him a bit more, though. And that there had been a bit more romance, but there didn't need to be, because the plot was awesome all on its own. But yeah. Cole was amazing. Just, so much swoon.

One thing that bothered me was the kind of love triangle. There is this other guy, Owen. And he likes Anna too. They even go on a few dates. But yeah. I did not think that Anna liked him, and I loved that. Sigh. But still. Wish it hadn't been a part of the book, because it messed with my heart a bit. I do not like love triangles. But still. This wasn't all that bad. Nothing too dramatic, hih. Owen was an interesting character. Not sure how I felt about him. Just know that I didn't like him much from the beginning.

I suppose that is all I have to say about this book. I can't think of anything else, and I don't want to spoil what happens. Just, it was amazing. Born of Illusion is a perfect book. Full of mystery and magic and excitement and romance. It just had all of it. I loved mostly all of the characters. They were all interesting to read about, and I loved that. This was just a really good book, and I'm so glad that I read it. Will definitely be re-reading it someday. Just wish there was a sequel with more Anna and Cole.

I read a finished paperback edition of this book, thanks to HarperCollins International. <3 Thank you so much. But I will also be buying a hardcover copy of this book sometime soon. It was just so good that I need a hardcover of it as well, hih. You really should read Born of Illusion. It truly is amazing.

5 comments:

  1. Cole and Anna seem like great characters. I haven't seen a whole lot about this one but sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slight love triangle sounds a little unnecessary, but I'm glad it wasn't too frustrating or anything. I can't wait to read this! I've heard mostly good things about it, and it's great to see that you enjoyed it too. Lovely review, Carina. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, it was unnecessary, but still. Wasn't that big of a deal, I think :) Think you'll love it :D Thank you Sam. <3

      Delete
  3. This sounds fabulous. I love the 1920s! The cover is beautiful and I am glad to hear you thought it was amazing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the relationship with the mother was so intriguing-so much better than the lame love triangle that did nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)