Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday #272

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

THE PEARL THIEF BY ELIZABETH WEIN

Goodreads Description:

Before Verity . . . there was Julie.

When fifteen-year-old Julia Beaufort-Stuart wakes up in the hospital, she knows the lazy summer break she’d imagined won’t be exactly like she anticipated. And once she returns to her grandfather’s estate, a bit banged up but alive, she begins to realize that her injury might not have been an accident. One of her family’s employees is missing, and he disappeared on the very same day she landed in the hospital.

Desperate to figure out what happened, she befriends Euan McEwen, the Scots Traveller boy who found her when she was injured, and his standoffish sister Ellen. As Julie grows closer to this family, she experiences some of the prejudices they’ve grown used to firsthand, a stark contrast to her own upbringing, and finds herself exploring thrilling new experiences that have nothing to do with a missing-person investigation.

Her memory of that day returns to her in pieces, and when a body is discovered, her new friends are caught in the crosshairs of long-held biases about Travellers. Julie must get to the bottom of the mystery in order to keep them from being framed for the crime.

In the prequel to Printz Honor Book Code Name Verity, this exhilarating coming-of-age story returns to a beloved character just before she learned to fly.


Hardcover, 304 pages
Expected publication: May 2nd 2017 by Disney-Hyperion 
Pre-Order here and here

I can't decide if I'm going to be able to read this book or not. Considering I know how it ends for this character. And it isn't a happy ending at all. Sobs. Yet this book sounds so exciting even so :D And I did read three of her books. And enjoyed two of them. And gah. I'm pretty curious about this one. I think I will enjoy it. But I'm also nervous, because of what happens to this girl. Sigh. I'm already heartbroken. Hmph.
What are you waiting for on this historical Wednesday?

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh this makes me nervous, too (knowing what you know). I haven't read Code Name but spoiler alert. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read anything by this author! I think it might be too difficult to read her books, to be honest (for me). I'm sure they are just as amazing as they have been lauded, though. =) If you read this book, I hope you love it, Carina!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this book before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. It sounds really interesting!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of her books, but I know a lot of people who love them. I just might have to check them out soon.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)