Friday, December 30, 2016

Review: RoseBlood by A. G. Howard

I tried my best with this book. I really wanted to enjoy it. Because it looks gorgeous. And I do adore this author. And the summary sounded interesting, though I don't know this play. But my gosh. This book was awful. I had the most trouble just to finish reading it. Sort of regret not just quitting it. It wasn't really worth my time.

I don't even know where to begin with this book. I wish I could say that it was amazing. But it really wasn't. I had way too many issues with it. Plus side, there was no love triangle. There was no silly relationship drama. But that, sadly, did not mean that the book was good. Because it most certainly was not. It was awful.

I'm giving it two stars, though. Because while I mostly hated it, I still finished it, and I did like parts of the plot. I loved the tragic past of the main boy. Though I felt like the telling of his past was all wrong. Ugh. I liked some parts of the past of the girl. But most of her past was silly and overdone. I felt like the plot could have been amazing, had it been written differently. Because, oh gosh, this writing was the most awful thing I have read in a long time. Shudders. I thought the writing would be good. But it was not. I'm not sure how to talk about it, but yeah. The whole book was like a description. There was way too much words describing things. Words that were a bit too difficult as well. The writing made me lose focus so, so often. It was the worst thing. Ugh.

I'm not going to write too much about this book. Because I don't feel like it. And I don't think I have that much to say about it. But I do wish to share some things. Sadly not going to be very positive about this book, despite giving it two stars. I didn't hate it. I didn't like it much, though, either. I do wish I hadn't read it. But my gorgeous print ARC was begging to be read. And I couldn't resist this cover. But yeah. I do regret reading it. It wasn't worth my time at all. Which makes me sad. I wanted to love it. But I could not.

I wouldn't recommend reading this book at all. I know some will love it. Though, to be fully honest, I have no idea why anyone would love it. Sigh. The writing was beyond annoying. I couldn't get past it at any time. It bothered me on every single page. It was horrible. Which means that it took me forever to read as well, because I kept losing focus because of the writing. I have seen someone say this was her best book yet. And oh god. It bothers me so much. Cause I disliked it so much. Sigh. Would not read it again. Ever.

I'm trying to think about what to share. This book is about Rune. Who just had to move from her home in America to start a new school in France. A school about opera. I felt like the book focused a lot on the school, which I didn't like, yet it didn't focus much on the singing at all. Felt like it was written badly. Sigh. And, of course, since this is almost like high school, there are the two drama mean girls. And, seriously, I'm getting so, so tired about that in books. It's just childish and pretty pathetic too. They made no sense.

Most of this book was not for me. I don't even know the opera story thingy this was based on. I have sort of heard about it, but never any details or such. Yet I found that part of the plot sort of interesting. I liked reading about the basement in this school. I enjoyed getting to know Thorn, sort of. Boy was interesting. Until the romance happened. Ugh. It was goddamn awful. I can't deal with how bad the romance was. Twin souls, whatever. Feeling so much for each other, after one touch. Electric. Just, puke. So not good.

I'm not sure what else I wish to say about this book. So I would rather not talk about it. It could have been pretty good, had the writing been better, hadn't the romance been awful. But yeah. I cared nothing for the characters. At all. Romance sucked. Writing sucked. And the main girl wasn't written very well either. Did not like her. Sigh. And that ending. What. Climax was rushed. Then just ended. And book ended. It was badly done. I would not want a sequel either. Sigh. Thank you, though, Abrams, for this gorgeous ARC :)


4 comments:

  1. It bums me out that you didn't like this because I do think it's the best thing Anita has written. Just proof that not every book is for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, what a bummer. Sorry this one disappointed you, Carina! I haven't read it yet but I do hope this is one of those rare books we disagree on lol. I've had high hopes for it! (Which is actually odd, since I didn't completely love Splintered!) Thanks for the honest review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you didn't enjoy this one. That sucks. I kinda like Phantom of the Opera vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually heard that this isn't the best book from a lot of people. I really do like the Phantom of the Opera, but everyone mentions this one just being too confusing and not well structured. I think I'll be skipping over this one...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)