Sunday, September 28, 2014

Review: The Witch of Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper

I wanted this book once I saw both gorgeous covers for it. And read the awesome summary. But then I got worried, as I heard talk about how it ends. So I feared I would not like it. But I got a print copy for review, so I would read it. And I must say that I actually liked it a lot. Which makes me happy, as I did want to.

For the most part, I loved The Witch of Salt & Storm. Which is why I'm giving it a four star. Sure, I had some huge heartbreak and issues about something before the ending. Didn't see why it couldn't be changed. But I also didn't hate it. And I liked the rest of the book, so yeah. I kind of really enjoyed reading this book.

The book is told from the point of view of sixteen year old Avery. Whom I adored. I hadn't fully peeked at the ending, so I didn't know what she would choose, and I was worried that she would choose to do something that I did not approve of. But she didn't. So yeah. I really liked Avery. There was one choice I wish she had done differently, but it also made a lot of sense, so I can't really dislike that either. Mostly I just liked reading from her point of view. As I liked her. I'm not going to share details about the plot. As I don't want to. But I will share a few small things. Like her mother. I didn't like her mother one bit. Sure, she had reasons for doing some of the things she did, but I will not forgive her, because those things she did were not okay. They weren't. I might have felt a bit of pity for her, but not enough. Sorry :) I just did not like her.

Then there was Avery's granma. I can't decide how I felt about her. Though her I really did feel sorry for. Especially at the end. There is just so much pain and heartbreak and anger. It is a bit depressing. Yet all kinds of awesome. I do wish her granma had tried more, though, and not been so mean at one point. But yeah. I did like her as a character. There are a bunch of other characters in this book too. Some I disliked a lot. Some I liked. Liked Avery's friend, Tommy. Just a little about him, but he was so kind.

There were many things in this book that I liked. I loved that Avery was an almost-witch. I loved that she was able to understand what dreams meant. It was pretty awesome. I also liked reading about the other witchy things. Like the charm spells. Those were amazing. Though I hated how much the people counted on them. As if the witch owed them anything. That bothered me a whole lot near the end of the book. And made me dislike a lot of those people, lol. But not all of them. Some were kind. Probably.

The romance. Tane. There is a cute boy in this book. With tattoos. A broken past. Yeah. I pretty much loved Tane. Wishing there had been more about him, and maybe some crying/broken scenes, as I love those, hih, but I also loved the scenes that he is in. And though the kissing might have happened a little bit fast, it was also so sweet. And I just adored the romance. And I wanted to read about Tane and Avery at all times. Sniffs. And ohh. I did like it a lot when he gives a tattoo. That was all kinds of awesome.

There is a bunch of things I could say about The Witch of Salt & Storm. But I will not. I will just say that this book is amazing. The plot is exciting. The characters are awesome. The romance is sweet. I enjoyed this book a whole lot. And I'm so glad that I read it. Despite the ending making me cry a whole lot. How mean. Yet so good. Huge thank you to Victoria at Hachette Childrens UK via BooksWithBiteUK for the print copy for review. <3 I adore this UK edition. And my US hardcover. Now, go buy this book.


12 comments:

  1. Hmmm, excellent, four stars. I'm borrowing this one from a friend, so I'm excited to read it - but I have seen a ton of meh reviews. Happy that this one passes the Carina test!

    Excellent review, lady!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear this was better than your expectations, Carina. I hope the next one is even better for you. I think I like the US cover a little better. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plot and characters being amazing plus the sweet romance sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carina,
    As always your book review is amazing. I always love how you give your insight on a character. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions books. Keep up with the good work!
    Love you,
    Truc Ly *wish*
    ps: I don't know if know manga, but I hope that you will give it a try. It's comic made in Japan, but the arts is so beautiful, and the story is also good. I would totally recommend this
    for you. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/kyou_koi_wo_hajimemasu/ that is the link to one of best romance manga. Make sure you read from right to left!!! Enjoy I will love to see you to review these books, because there is so much drama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover too, I can't wait to add this to my reading list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you loved it! I knew how worried you were, especially since you knew i disliked it. Great review Carina <3

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to hear that you loved this one, Carina! I have been super curious about this book and I've seen some different reviews, some positive, some negative, so I'm so happy to hear that you gave it 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carina,
    As always your reviews are always so good, really interesting. I love how you get really into it and give us really good things about the book and no spoilers. Thnx again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carina,
    I like how you describe the book and how you don't give any spoilers out. Also how it make me king of want to read this book. Thanks.
    Vanessa M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carina,
    I like how you describe the book with lots details but not giving any details away. You're making me want to read the book now! Great job!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Carina,
    I like how you made the book sound interesting with the details you decided to put in it. I liked the way you reviewed the book in that way. Also you didn't put any of the books' spoilers in it. That's a really good thing to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carina-
    I really like your blog! I never know what to read next, and your descriptive reviews always leave me hanging, wanting to read the book! You make it so interesting, but don't spoil it. Great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)