Thursday, September 18, 2014

Review: Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White

I wanted to read this book because I thought the cover was gorgeous. And it sounded interesting too. Which is why I requested the book from HarperCollins International. <3 Was so happy when I got it. It was an easy to read book, but, I'm sorry to say that I had big issues with it. I just did not love it at all.

There were some things about this book that I enjoyed. But for the most part, there were things that annoyed me. I liked the story a whole lot. I thought it was exciting and fun to read about. But then there were the writing. I did not like the way this book was written. I didn't like how the characters acted.

And because of that I ended up not liking this book like I wanted to. There was a twist near the ending that I didn't see coming, but it wasn't exciting for me. It felt a bit silly. And the big showdown with the villain or whatever, was so silly. It was over so fast and I didn't enjoy it at all. Hmph. I wanted to, though. But no. I didn't feel the grief main girl was supposed to be feeling at the end. I didn't seem to care at all, because I felt like it was written very poorly. Sigh. I do wish I had loved this book. But I did not. I found so many things to be silly and a bit weird. I did like the plot, though. And that it was an easy to finish book. But I know I won't think about it for long before I forget what happened in it. Sigh. I'm going with two stars for this.

Illusions of Fate is told from the point of view of Jessamin. Sometimes I liked her, but sometimes I didn't care for her at all. I didn't understand her. First she thinks one thing, then in the next minute she thinks the opposite. It bothered me a bit. I didn't understand the point of her childhood friend, Kelen. Or her new friends either. One of them I liked. But it all just seemed a bit silly to me. I didn't connect with any of it, and it just didn't feel real. Which upsets me a lot, because it could have been amazing. Hmph.

There is romance in this book. As there is a boy, Finn. Whom I kind of loved. But then. It is so weird as well. We don't get to know enough about him. And Jessamin is so conflicted about her feelings for him. And the romance. Sigh. It was just.. annoying. It didn't make me swoon or anything. Like I wanted it to. But yeah. I did like Finn. I just wish I had loved Jessamin more. And omg, that bird. Sir Bird. Ugh. That bothered me like nothing else, lol. It just, yeah. It was not for me at all. Didn't get the point of it.

There is also a villain in this book. And I felt like it was done so badly. I wanted it to be more awesome. It was not. She is in contact with the villain almost right away, he kidnaps her, and hurt her fingers. And, sure, that must have been painful as hell. But I didn't feel a single thing. I didn't connect at all. And this bothered me so much. As I like a bit of torture in my books. But this was just not done well enough. I didn't even see the point of the villain. Why he cared at all. Sigh. Mostly, this book just bothered me.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things I could say about this book. But I don't want to. Some things were interesting, but mostly I did not like this book. I did not hate it at all, though. But yeah. A boring book is no fun to read. A book where you don't connect to anything. Which was depressing. Anyway. I do think others might love this book, and I'm curious to read other reviews. Huge, huge thank you to HarperCollins International for sending me this gorgeous print review copy. <3 It is all kinds of pretty.


8 comments:

  1. I hate it so much when I'm really looking forward to a book and it just lets me down. I've also been wanting to read this book, but I've been waiting for reviews. It's really too bad that you didn't like it. I totally get it though from all the negatives you point out. I hate wishy washy characters! Thanks for sharing your review :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. I've heard really mixed things about this one...some people love others not so much. I have this to read from a friend so I'm really curious to see what I'll think of it. so sorry this didn't work for you Carina :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaawww, I'm so so sad to hear you didn't love this one at all! =/ The cover is such a stunner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I was really looking forward to reading this book but thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always disappointing when the cover is better than the book! Looks like I'll be getting this one at the library.

    Amber Elise @Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boring and silly doesn't sound appealing at all. Sorry to hear this didn't work out for you, Carina! Great honest review! Hope your next book is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lack of the villan can be a negative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you did not love this one, girl! I definitely agree that the ending was rushed - I wish there had been quite a few more pages at the end, especially since the book was fairly short. But the twist totally took me by surprise! Didn't see it coming at all. And, yeah, I swooned hard for Finn. :)
    Great review, lady, I hope your next reads are better!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)