Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Review: The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta

The Gorgon in the Gully was just what I needed today. It's been just a few months since I first realized that the main character in this book is the little brother of Jonah Griggs from Jellicoe Road. And that there is a little bit of Jonah in this book. And because I that I needed it right away. And I'm so glad I read it. Because it's fun and cute and awesome.

This is not a very long book. Just over one hundred pages, yet there are very little pages with not that many words. Yet it was perfect. It tells a story, and a pretty amazing story as well. My review will not be very long, because as I said, short book. And it just tells one story, so there isn't all that much to talk about. But I do need to talk a little bit about it :)

This is a middle grade book told from the point of view of Danny Griggs. Who is an amazing person. I loved him a whole lot. He's pretty special too, although I felt like at the beginning he seemed a bit boring. But I still loved him. Thing is, he's scared of everything. Everything except for his family. Which is sort of cute, to be honest. We get to know him a lot, and his mom and Jack. I just loved getting to know Jonah's family better :) They all seemed pretty amazing. And I loved reading it all.

There is an interesting plot in this book. We get to see a lot of the school Danny goes to, and a lot of his friends and enemies. I loved reading about them all, because we get to know them a lot. I even liked all of them too. Especially Simon. He's not very nice in the beginning. But oh. He does change, and he was just one of the bestest friends. I adored him. It also broke my heart a bit to read about his home life, even though we didn't get to see all of it. Kind of makes me wish Melina will write about him later :)

Anyway. This is about the Gorgon in the gully. Won't say more about it, just that there is this thing Danny has decided to do. So there is a lot of planning and acting and I loved how all of the kids got together for it. It was cute. The Gorgon is someone or something living in the gully. And it has been taking everything that falls down there. Every kind of different balls and other items. Yet no one dare to go down there. Until Danny. I loved reading about it because it was interesting, fun and a bit sweet :)

The Gorgon in the Gully is an amazing book. There wasn't anything I didn't love about it. Well, okay, I might have wanted a tiny bit more Jonah, because I'm just like that. But it was amazing what we did get. Sigh. Jonah is just perfect. But yeah. This is the story of his brother, and I loved that even more. Because Danny was awesome too and I adored him a lot. This is a fun and quick read. It's a tiny bit sad, but not much. It was exciting all the time. So yes. I think you should all read this amazing book.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Marchetta wrote an MG book from Jonah's little brother's perspective! How cool!

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely chance upon a MG book review so this is great! Thanks!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)