Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mini Review: The Shattered Mountain by Rae Carson

After having read and loved The Bitter Kingdom yesterday I knew I had to read this novella right away. And I'm so glad I did. The Shattered Mountain is an amazing short story. Although it isn't that short, it is one hundred pages. Yet I wished it was longer. Because I loved reading about Mara, and her story. The writing is as beautiful as ever. And the world just as deadly.

My review won't be all that long, since the novella is short and I don't won't to spoil everything that happens :) The Shattered Mountain is told from the point of view of Mara, who we get to know in the Girl of Fire and Thorns books. This is the story about her life before she is the maid of Elisa. How she got there. And oh. It is amazing and heartbreaking and just perfect.

If you read the summary, you know what this novella is about. Mara is seventeen years old, and she's living with her Pa in a small village. I hated her father. He abuses her, and he didn't seem nice at all. Happy we didn't see too much about him. But she's also happy. Because she has a boyfriend; Julio. And oh. Julio just seemed so amazing, and I loved him, and it breaks my heart, because having read the other books I knew what would happen. Sobs. But so amazing. It is really heartbreaking. And I loved it all.

The same day that Mara and Julio is planning on running away their village gets attacked by the Inviernos. And oh. It is so heartbreaking. Because they are killing everyone with their fire and arrows. Yet I loved reading about it. So many things happen after that. Mara gets away with a bunch of children, where she is the oldest one and have to take care of them all. But it's hard. Because they don't have enough food, and they have to travel in the mountain for at least a week. I loved every second of it.

We get to meet many characters as well. Loved Julio. And I loved his brother, Adán. He was just so strong. And I loved reading about Raynaldo as well. Kind and strong, yet they are both young. But tiny Teena broke my heart. She was just so little and so strong yet broken as well. I just loved reading about them all. The plot in this book is also really, really good, and I could not stop reading. There is action, heartbreak, romance and just everything. It is a very exciting read, and I'm so thrilled that I read it.

I loved reading from Mara's point of view, and I just wish it had been ever longer. I also love these novella's that Rae writes. I hope she will write many more from this amazing series :) I think you all would love this short story. Especially if you have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns. But even if you haven't read those books I think you would love this one. Because it's amazing. And heartbreaking. But it have some hope. It is a truly amazing novella, and I simply cannot wait to read more from Rae Carson.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you wish it was longer. That says a lot! I think the cover is intriguing- it caught my eye! Great review!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to pick up a book by Rae Carson soon, I have Fire and Thorns already, but never got time to picking it up yet. The world building sounds wonderful! Lovely review Carina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! I feel like I'm really behind with this series now. :P I still need to read books 2, 3 and the first novella. I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this though. 100 pages sounds pretty good to me for a novella, though I can understand why you want more. ;) Great review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting and liking a new POV sounds great. I haven't read any of this series, but I do like the cover.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)